We are looking for an outstanding Chief Economist to join Spotify’s Content team.
Our mission is to unlock the potential of human creativity by giving a million creative artists the opportunity to live off their work and billions of fans the opportunity to enjoy and be inspired by it.
Are you a creative thinker who can combine a strong economic toolbox with a desire to learn from others, and who knows how to execute and deliver on big ideas.
You would be working across the content teams and with many other related departments, providing economics, statistical and policy support that enable evidence-based decision making to help Spotify achieve its stated goal.
What you’ll do
- You will be working horizontally across the company, from markets to marketplace and licensing to policy.
- You will be working closely with cross-functional teams across the company on complex and unprecedented problem-solving challenges that require fast turn-around solutions.
- You will be able to learn quickly and apply all relevant excel, coding and query skills available within the company, and to be able to build user-friendly tools on top of those data platforms
- You need to be able to present economic analysis clearly and concisely to both internal and external audiences who are not trained in the subject, including media.
- Work from our New York office with occasional travel.
Who you are
- You have 7-10 years experience with a strong understanding of economics within the broader media and tech industries.
- You have 3+ years experience managing a team.
- You have excellent statistical training and a proven track record in constructing excel models (such as long tail analysis) for solving problems that are without precedent.
- An MSc (or above) economics training at a reputable university with a research background in applied macro and microeconomics, and proven modelling skills.
- Applicants with considerably more experience are encouraged to apply.
- You have a proven ability to commission and project manage large research projects.
It is a plus if you
- Have experience in the music industry.
- Can demonstrate how you retain objectivity in your analysis and communication.
- Love working a dynamic and fast-moving environment
- Possess effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Have the technical competence to perform more advanced analytics:
- Analytics tools experience (such as Tableau)
- Experience performing analysis with large datasets
- Knowledge of conjoint software (i.e. Sawtooth) and other pricing tools