We are looking for an experienced music licensing manager to help curate music that will reach millions of our players, formally clear music via rights holder partnerships and support the execution of music partnership marketing campaigns for Beatstar.
Beatstar is a unique mobile music rhythm game that lets you touch your music. It features hundreds of fully licensed original recordings from Doja Cat, Avicii and Lil Nas X, to classics like Lynyrd Skynrd’s “Sweet Home Alabama” or Run-DMC’s “It’s Tricky”. Imagine the best Coachella lineup ever: that’s Beatstar.
Beatstar is the biggest music game on mobile, having launched in 2021 it shot to the top of the App Store charts where it has been ever since! Having already achieved 30m installs, we are just getting started ..
More recently, we made history by being the first game ever to release new music ahead of all other platforms with Shakira & The Black Eyed Peas choosing to release their new track Don’t You Worry on Beatstar!
Beatstar is a collaboration between Space Ape Games in London, and Supercell in San Francisco. The Space Ape team is responsible for development and operations of the game, with Supercell backing and support to supercharge our growth.
If you haven’t experienced Beatstar for yourself, stop reading now. Go download it (for free) on Google Play or the App Store. If you’ve already mastered the game then read on to find out how you might help cement its position as the defining music game.
You will be primarily responsible for licensing music for the game.
You will work with the Marketing Lead to implement the music strategy for the game by collaborating with the music team to select and prioritise songs for licensing and manage a quarterly adjusted goal of approved music clearances. The remit includes updating and maintaining tracking documentation as well managing relationships with music labels and publishers.
- You are passionate about music and have an ability to follow trends and data to assess music market segmentation.
- You understand & have a professional background working with music rights & licensing.
- You understand the clearance approval complexity applied to varying music genres.
- You are a self starter, confident & experienced enough to own projects and responsibilities without sign off to execute.
- You have excellent organisational skills and have experience using Microsoft Excel/Google Sheets.
- You have a measure of comfort with working with digital entertainment services and understand or are able to quickly learn processes and new business models.
- You are proactive and thrive in a collaborative, fast paced, creative environment.
- A background in music curation or marketing will be an advantage in this role.
Why Space Ape is right for you
- Be a part of one of several small empowered teams who inspire and challenge one another in the pursuit of our mission
- Autonomy to make your own impact with the support to help it happen
- Designated ‘Ape Space’ creative time where you are free to work on game concepts and ideas away from your day to day
- The freedom to further your skill set the way you want with a generous training budget
- An award winning studio that has been crowned one of the best places to work, for the last 5 years in a row!
- Help run and create games which bring joy to millions of players all over the world
- 5* Glassdoor rating – Check out our reviews
- Entered a long-term strategic partnership with Supercell in 2017
- Competitive salary & stock options
About Space Ape
At Space Ape we pride ourselves on our passion and the trust we place in our people. We look for passionate, productive, team players who are relentless in their pursuit of our mission. There’s no bureaucracy here, we just get things done. Space Ape’s mission is to make the highest quality and most successful mobile games in the world. Founded in 2012 we’ve since launched five games that have been installed by over 100 million people and generated over $250m revenue.
We are part of the Supercell family, giving access to some of the most talented game makers on the planet.
It’s an incredibly exciting time here at Space Ape Games. We have projects at all stages of the development cycle, along with a fast paced environment that promotes genuine autonomy. We recently global launched our exciting new music game, Beatstar! We are also working on a new multiplayer game set in the Boom Beach universe.
Our studio is currently 120 strong and built around the belief that small empowered teams make the best games. This philosophy enables us to innovate, move faster and have the creative ownership required to make the greatest games on mobile.