SoundExchange is the premier music tech organization on a mission to power the future of music. The organization collects and distributes digital performance royalties on behalf of more than 560,000 recording artists’ and master rights owners’ accounts and to date has paid more than $9 billion in distributions. Through unparalleled innovation of financial tech products and services, it distributes royalties to creator groups, advocates for fair pay across platforms, and creates systems that improve how the industry operates. Its proprietary fintech solutions help turn data into accurate revenue for creators and include Music Data Exchange (MDX) and International Standard Recording Codes (ISRC) Search.
Have you ever wanted to work in a highly visible digital business and strategy role that directly impacts the music industry? Are you interested in contributing to a team that develops business solutions that benefit independent artists and music companies alike? You are in the right place.
SoundExchange has an immediate opening for a Vice President, Business Development & Business Analysis. This is a senior role within the SoundExchange Business Development (BD) Team and an ideal position for someone who has experience in and is passionate about music, entertainment, technology and new business development. In this role you will be identifying, setting and developing strategic business plans and executing on identified objectives to expand the company’s current business footprint and scope.
You will independently lead business and strategic development efforts across the business with the objective of driving new sustainable and recurring revenue for the organization. You will also be responsible for setting and delivering agreed revenue objectives with key external business partners across a portfolio of existing and new products/services. In this highly visible role, you will interact directly with the executive leadership of SoundExchange where you will communicate analysis and findings, as well as make recommendations on best business practice and focus for the company. The position reports directly to the Chief Business Development Officer and is being offered as 100% remote.
- Negotiating, reviewing, preparing and executing on comprehensive business plans for new growth initiatives
- Independently prepare and communicate detailed financial models and other analyses highlighting strategic rationale, key considerations, upside opportunities, potential risks, etc. of new business opportunity to help inform Sound Exchange’s strategic priorities as needed
- Act as resident expert, catalyst and spokesperson for new digital business initiatives (e.g. Web3 and The Metaverse) by providing in-house expertise and fluency in emerging business categories to support digital focus, decision making and enhanced revenue stream generation for SoundExchange
- Develop external relationships and find new ways to drive revenues for SoundExchange e.g. by creating new opportunities to monetize and repurpose the company’s royalty administration platforms and overall assets
- Serve as a primary negotiator for new initiatives and key external partnerships within Business Development
- Collaborate with internal teams across the organization and subsidiaries to identify SoundExchange assets to be leveraged for deal fulfillment and in development of new industry tools
- Lead strategic planning efforts for the BD organization with support from divisional counterparts (Finance, Operations, Legal, Technology) in the development of a short/long-term strategic plan for the business.
- Closely monitor industry trends and competitive dynamics, and preparing presentations summarizing industry segments and individual companies as needed
- Prepare BD focused presentations and ad-hoc analyses for the CEO and the COO & CFO as needed
- Maintain a strategic partnership portfolio and weekly logbook of business development partnerships, objectives and KPI’s
- Manage BD team members as needed
- Other business development driven duties as outlined by management
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities (KSAs):
- Passionate about music, entertainment, technology, new business & innovation
- 8+ years of experience at an investment bank, consulting firm, or related industry (media, entertainment, digital, tech)
- “Big strategic and creative thinker” with extensive digital, platform, customer, and/or community knowledge
- Proactive problem solver with an agility to learn, immerse yourself, and drive a complex and constantly evolving area of the music/entertainment/tech industry forward.
- Experience translating quantitative models and analysis into cohesive insights with ease; outstanding advanced financial modeling/analytical skills (high proficiency in MS Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
- Familiarity working with customer/market data and conducting exceptional business-driven analysis; industry/category/company analysis to support executive level decision making
- Conceptualizing, writing and analyzing business plans, financial plans and value propositions for new products and lines of business
- Demonstrated expertise in project management, successfully overseeing transition from idea to conception, to deal closure, to implementation
- Previous knowledge and experience of the music/entertainment/tech industry and a functional understanding of the music rights landscape as well as underlying business economics (music industry background preferred, but not required)
- Established capability to network within the tech/digital sector and investment community to uncover key trends, developments, entrepreneurs, and category opportunities
- Sophisticated understanding of technology/digital innovation, with an emphasis on Web3 and The Metaverse, as it relates to music and entertainment business transformation
- Strong communication and presentation skills, and ability to use to engage, inspire and influence, co-workers, peers and partners alike
- Proactive, independent attitude, strong work ethic and a keen attention to detail: both verbal and written
- Competitive spirit and results driven, with a relentless desire to support the company vision and commitment to expand its business footprint
- Highly collaborative team player with outstanding interpersonal skills and an ability to lead and work effectively with cross-functional teams with a strong sense of urgency
- Advanced degree (MBA, JD) preferred but not required
- Willing to travel as needed
- This position requires the ability to remain in a stationary position (standing and/or seated) more than half the time
- This position requires the ability to spend more than half the time viewing computer monitors
- This position requires overnight domestic travel up to 25 – 50% of the time
- This position requires overnight international travel less than 25% of the time
- Anticipated travel will be by car, air, and/or train
Applicants who receive a conditional offer of employment will be required to disclose their COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. Employees who are not fully vaccinated will not be permitted to access SoundExchange offices until they are fully vaccinated. As a condition of employment, all SoundExchange employees will be required to be fully vaccinated. SoundExchange will provide reasonable accommodations for employees who cannot be vaccinated because of a disability or sincerely held religious belief. Accommodation requests will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
To apply, please send a cover letter and résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the individual(s) assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required. Management reserves the right to modify, add, or remove duties and to assign other duties as necessary.