Title: Data Analyst, Publisher Services
Department: Publisher Services
Reports To: Senior Director, Music Publisher Rights Management
Supervisory Role: No
FLSA Status: Exempt
Location: Remote (based in Continental US)
SoundExchange is the premier music tech organization on a mission to power the future of music. It was independently formed in 2003 to build a fairer, simpler, and more efficient music industry through technology, data, and advocacy. The only organization designated by the U.S. government to administer the Section 114 sound recording license, SoundExchange collects and distributes digital performance royalties on behalf of 650,000 music creators and growing. Through proprietary music tech solutions that turn data into accurate revenue, SoundExchange has paid more than $9 billion in distributions to date.
SoundExchange is looking for a highly organized, data driven, motivated and problem-solving Data Analyst to join its Publisher Services team. Working closely with the Senior Manager, Publisher Services this role will report to the Senior Director, Music Publisher Rights Management. The position will participate in all publisher rights and repertoire activities for SoundExchange and its subsidiaries and will work closely with SoundExchange Operations, Customer Services, Business Process and Tech Product teams.
- Perform in depth royalty and copyright analysis for internal & external customers
- Research requests for work related information such as interested parties, song & recording data
- Perform quality assurance and testing exercises, to ensure integrity in our data and business processes
- Provide data analysis and visualization exercises to support publisher activities/products
- Verify the accuracy of work shares and agreements to support music publishing activities
- Use research tools, database extraction, and data management techniques to provide analysis, insights, and answers related to music publishing products and processes
- Extract and identify relationships between Sound Recording and Musical Works identifiers from various data sources
- Present the results of data analysis to internal and external customers
- Perform other duties as assigned
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities (KSAs)
- Analytical skills with the ability to collect, organize, analyze, and disseminate significant amounts of information with attention to detail and accuracy
- Strong initiative and problem-solving skills
- Expert level in Excel and ability to manipulate disparate data sources
- Solid understanding of database concepts with a hands-on experience in Oracle, Postgres, SQL and PL/SQL
- Proven ability to write and execute complex SQL queries
- Comfortable working with Database Query Tools (Oracle SQL Developer, JetBrains, etc.)
- Familiarity with data visualization/BI tools (e.g. Oracle BI)
- Ability to follow and develop data quality standards, metrics and audit procedures
- Understanding and knowledge of international music industry standards and formats across the music publishing ecosystem e.g. DDEX, CWR, sound recording and musical work metadata, etc.
- Respond appropriately to direction regarding deadlines, deliverables, key performance indicators and service levels
- Ability to tell develop and present a story with data
- Ability to escalate issues appropriately in a timely and professional manner
Required Education, Certifications/ Licenses, Related Experience
- Bachelors in music, data/information science (or related field) (or equivalent work experience)
- 2 – 3 years experience working with data related to music
- This position requires the ability to remain in a stationary position (standing and/or seated) all of the time
- The person in this position may need to move about the corporate office(s) less than half the time
- This position requires the ability to spend all of the time viewing computer monitors
- The person in this position must be able to identify and distinguish between colors more than half the time
This position requires overnight domestic travel less than 25% of the time. Anticipated travel will be by car, air, and/or train
At SoundExchange, we empower creators and help share the future of music. One way we do this is by respecting diverse voices, varied perspectives, and distinct backgrounds of all of our team members. We are intentional in creating an inclusive culture where we recognize that equity is greater than equality and all employees have the opportunities and support needed to thrive. We strive to create teams that reflect the music community we serve – every individual’s unique attributes and abilities are valued, and are part of how we innovate, create, and deliver experiences to the creators we champion.
To apply, please send a cover letter and résumé to email@example.com.
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the individual(s) assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required. Management reserves the right to modify, add, or remove duties and to assign other duties as necessary.