What’s next in music is first on SoundCloud. As the world’s largest open audio platform, SoundCloud is powered by a connected community of creators and listeners who share, discover and influence what’s new, now and next in music and audio. SoundCloud is looking for a music licensing lawyer with an aptitude for technology to lead negotiations in the US and Europe. This is a rare opportunity to work right at the cutting edge of digital media. You will face unique challenges, work with amazing people, and take on a role that will ultimately shape the way that music and audio are created and consumed around the world.
This is a senior role within the Business & Legal Affairs team, based in New York, reporting into the General Counsel of SoundCloud. You will be the lead member of a small team of music lawyers responsible for leading negotiations with record labels, publishers and collecting societies in the U.S. and Europe.
Your role will be to partner closely with internal business counterparts to negotiate and deliver partnerships with record companies, music publishers, collecting societies, artists and other stakeholders across the music industry.
Your work will include business modeling, deal proposals, negotiation of commercial terms, and drafting and negotiation of contracts for SoundCloud’s unique business model. You will need to be a seasoned dealmaker who is capable of leading complex negotiations and driving towards solutions, often in challenging circumstances. A deep understanding of the digital music rights landscape and significant experience directly negotiating global licensing deals for or with digital service providers and/or UGC platforms are prerequisites.
You will be a subject matter expert within the Company, and will be expected to share your knowledge and experience within the team and across the wider organization to help educate and inform your colleagues. You will give clear and commercially focused advice to other teams on matters relating to music rights
- Support SoundCloud’s overall business by licensing in music rights for various business initiatives
- Facilitate the negotiation process, negotiate and draft content licensing agreements with record labels, publishers, collecting societies, artists and other music industry stakeholders
- Represent SoundCloud towards external stakeholders in the music industry, both as part of your day-to-day work and potentially in public forums
- Coordinate with product and engineering teams in connection with product development related to music licensing
- Collaborate with other members of the Legal & Business Affairs team to ensure business needs are met
- Draft and negotiate synch licenses, waivers and other similar terms with labels and publishers
- Occasionally direct outside counsel
- Qualified lawyer with at least 10+ years of music licensing experience
- Good understanding of the digital music rights landscape in the US & Europe
- Experience in negotiating complex rights deals in multiple territories
- Experience working in a dynamic, fast-paced environment
- Experience building and leading a team
- Strategic thinker and creative problem solver
- Comfortable dealing with uncertainty and ambiguity
- Pragmatic, risk-based approach to problems
- Resilient, self-aware and values-driven
- Good business relationships within the music and/or consumer tech industry
- Excellent drafting and negotiation skills
- Fluent in English