What’s next in music is first on SoundCloud. As the world’s largest open audio platform, SoundCloud is powered by a connected community of creators and listeners who share, discover and influence what’s new, now and next in music and audio.
SoundCloud is looking for a music licensing lawyer with an aptitude for technology to lead negotiations in the US and Europe. This is a rare opportunity to work right at the cutting edge of digital media.
You will face unique challenges, work with amazing people, and take on a role that will ultimately shape the way that music and audio are created and consumed around the world.
- This is a newly created role within the Legal & Business Affairs team, based in New York. You will be a key member of the team leading negotiations with record labels, publishers and collecting societies in the U.S. and Europe.
- Your role will be to partner closely with internal business counterparts to negotiate and deliver partnerships with record companies, music publishers, collecting societies and other stakeholders across the music industry.
- Your work will include business modelling, deal proposals, negotiation of commercial terms, and drafting and negotiation of contracts for SoundCloud’s unique business model. You will need to be a seasoned dealmaker who is capable of leading complex negotiations and driving towards solutions, often in challenging circumstances. A deep understanding of the digital music rights landscape and experience of negotiating international licensing deals for or with digital service providers and/or UGC platforms are prerequisites.
- You will be a subject matter expert within the Company, and will be expected to share your knowledge and experience within the team and across the wider organisation to help educate and inform your colleagues. You will give clear and commercially focused advice to other teams on matters relating to music rights
- Support SoundCloud’s overall business by licensing in music rights for various business initiatives
- Draft and negotiate synch licenses, waivers and other similar terms with labels and publishers
- Negotiate and draft partnership agreements with music industry stakeholders
- Occasionally direct outside counsel
- Coordinate with product and engineering teams in connection with product development related to music licensing
- Collaborate with other members of the Legal & Business Affairs team to ensure business needs are met
- Represent SoundCloud towards external stakeholders in the music industry, both as part of your day-to-day work and potentially in public forums
- Qualified lawyer* with at least 8 years’ relevant experience
- Good understanding of the digital music rights landscape in the US & Europe
- Experience in negotiating complex rights deals in multiple territories
- Experience of working in a dynamic, fast-paced environment
- Experience of building and leading a team
- Strategic thinker and creative problem solver
- Comfortable dealing with uncertainty and ambiguity
- Pragmatic, risk-based approach to problems
- Resilient, self-aware and values-driven
- Good relationships within the music, media, and/or consumer tech industry
- Excellent drafting and negotiation skills
- Fluent in English, and ideally one or more other European languages
* qualified in the US, UK or any European civil law jurisdiction
Diversity at SoundCloud:
“SoundCloud is for everyone. Diversity and open expression are fundamental to our organization they help us build a social platform and global community where anyone can create, discover, and share sounds. We acknowledge the challenges in our industry, and strive to develop an inclusive culture where everyone can contribute.”