About Sony Music Entertainment
Sony Music Entertainment is a global recorded music company with a roster of current artists that includes a broad array of both local artists and international superstars, as well as a vast catalog that comprises some of the most important recordings in history. Sony Music Entertainment is a wholly owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation of America.
The Vice President, Partner Development manages Sony Music’s macro business relationship with a selection of SME’s largest digital video partners globally. The successful candidate will be the global internal expert on the video accounts they manage and will be responsible for developing and practically applying a cohesive digital strategy, with a primary focus on short-form (e.g., music) video and user-generated-content. Additionally, this role is responsible for all aspects related to the strategic global management of the allocated video accounts, as well as for developing projects and initiatives that optimize revenue / opportunities for Sony Music at those accounts.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, optimizing Sony Music’s revenue at each account, initiation and management of projects to generate account level opportunities, educating all levels of the business about key aspects of the partner businesses, and being a key global contact for both the partner and internal stakeholders with respect to SME’s evolving business with these accounts.
This role is based at Sony Music’s offices in New York and reports to the SVP, Partner Development.
- Quickly develop extensive expertise and assume global strategic account-management responsibility for all aspects related to the video/UGC partners allocated
- Recommend and deploy a long term video strategy in order to optimize revenue on both ad-supported and paid subscription offerings around the myriad of asset types on video platforms, taking into account content commitments and policies across the global digital market place
- Build strong relationships and lines of communication with key contacts at allocated partners and with internal stakeholders at all levels: including repertoire owners (e.g. label marketing, label sales), local and regional offices, analytics, operations and finance teams, and senior management
- Project manage various activities related to the partner. This could include overseeing content strategies, reporting integration, ongoing analysis of partner performance, problem solving etc.
- Proactively uncover trends about Sony’s partners that will lead to actionable strategies
- Work with the wider Partner Development team on cross-partner initiatives to generate incremental SME revenue, and drive wider-landscape customer acquisition and ARPU optimization
- Regularly contribute knowledge and partner expertise to business planning and revenue forecasting models carried out by the finance team
- Communicate with & educate internal stakeholders at all levels on best practices, operational procedure and complexities, analytics, and promotional opportunities
- Monitor and analyze digital revenue forecasts, plans, and actual results using analyst generated reports and analyses. Establish transparency on performance and make recommendations to correct any under-performance
- Represent the interests of SME to the partner, and seek to develop solutions to perceived problems
- Manage and lead one to two direct reports who will help implement the devised strategies and execute the underlying analytics
- Online video expert: Experience with video content ecosystems, ideally with demonstrated success in developing strategies to increase views, develop audience, build channel subscribers, drive premium and user-generated-content monetization, partner with MCN’s (multi-channel networks), and ultimately improve revenue on these platforms
- Strong understanding of music video as a product, of the ad-supported and subscription music video and UGC platforms, and of the unique business challenges that music video and UGC present
- Pro-active go-getter that can flourish in a fast paced environment by identifying opportunities, creatively coming up with plans to maximize them, and driving through to completion
- Experience with strategic analysis and streaming businesses
- Outstanding attention to detail / results driven with a keen eye for data
- Substantial experience with rights management, content management, content policy, and digital advertising
- Genuine passion for the music industry and growth of digital music sector
- Strong relationships person
- Excellent spoken, written, and presentation skills and ability to present to and influence people at all levels
- Degree plus MBA or equivalent business qualification strongly preferred
- 7+ years’ experience in music or a related digital content industry, and ideally experience dealing with content/repertoire owners
- Preferably someone who has developed expertise with all commercial models within the digital content landscape, including streaming and user-generated content models
Sony Music is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of age, disability, national origin, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, veteran or military status, marital and civil partnership/union status, alienage or citizenship status, creed, genetic information or any other status protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.