As a Vice President, A&R & Co-Head of Urban Music, Arista Records you will evaluate and recommend new talent, oversee the recording process for assigned artists and serve as a liaison between assigned artists and the label.
What you’ll do:
- Evaluate talent and match with potential audience tastes with a primary focus on urban/pop music.
- Oversee the recording, production, mastering, sequencing of artist projects.
- Attend live showcases/concerts at venues.
- Providing comprehensive feedback on new music to President, Arista Records.
- Review and recommend submitted/solicited demos as well as online material via artist/band websites and social networking sites.
- Search for new songs for existing talent on the label.
- Act as label liaison with the artist once they are signed to the label.
- Provide creative input and direction on artist’s material.
- Find suitable producers, writers/co-writers, sound engineers and recording studios.
- Coordinate pre-production and production, mixing, mastering.
- Plan and monitor recording budgets for assigned projects.
- Keep projects within agreed budget and schedule/timeline.
- Evaluate recording and mixing progress for label’s artists.
- Maintain files/records on all shows attended.
- Work closely with other label departments/employees including marketing, publicity, promotion and sales to try to ensure recorded material is commercially successful.
- Develop and maintain relationships with industry insiders (managers, agents, attorneys, concert promoters, radio promo reps, retail contacts, trade and consumer press, tastemakers, etc.)
Who you are:
- 10+ years of music industry experience, with at least 5 years of A&R experience with a demonstrated track record of finding new and emerging artists that align with Arista’s musical offerings/musical direction.
- Prior experience with the different steps in the recording, production, mastering, sequencing and release of a record is required.
- Must have strong knowledge of various genres of music and the ability to separate/identify the commercially viable from the pack.
- Musical/performance background a strong plus.
- Computer skills: Strong computer skills including MS Office (Word, Excel & Outlook) and an intimate knowledge of the internet.
- A proactive, self-starter who has strong problem solving, social, and interpersonal skills.
- Exceptional communication and time management skills.
- Must be able to prioritize and multi-task.
- Strong organizational skills are required.
- Must be able to work independently but be a team player and flexible.
- Must be able to create and maintain very strong relationships with artists, managers, attorneys, etc.
What we give you:
- You join an inclusive, collaborative and global community where you have the opportunity to fuel the creative journey
- A modern office environment designed to foster productivity, creativity, and teamwork
- An attractive and comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, life & disability coverage, and 401K + employer matching
- Voluntary benefits like company-paid identity theft protection and resources for pets, mental health and meditation resources, industry-leading fertility coverage, fully paid leave for childbirth or bonding, fully paid leave for caregivers, programs for loved ones with developmental disabilities and neurodiversity, subsidized back-up child and elder care, and reimbursement for adoption, surrogacy, tuition and student loans
- We invest in your professional growth & development
Time off for a winter recess
Sony Music is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of age, disability, national origin, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, veteran or military status, marital and civil partnership/union status, alienage or citizenship status, creed, genetic information or any other status protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.