About Sony Music Entertainment
Sony Music Entertainment is a global recorded music company with a roster of current artists that includes a broad array of both local artists and international superstars, as well as a vast catalog that comprises some of the most important recordings in history. Sony Music Entertainment is a wholly owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation of America.
- At Sony Music Entertainment, we are passionate about helping our artists succeed in an industry that sees constant change and opportunity for innovation. The Global Digital Business team is on the front line, ensuring that Sony Music makes the most of our relationships with major digital distribution partners, and also working with exciting digital music startups around the world. We strive to be ahead of the curve and shape how customers connect with the music they love.
- As the Director of Global Business Development, you will join an international team of data-savvy negotiators who focus on executing digital distribution partnerships with a variety of global and multi-territory accounts.
- On day one, you should be able to articulate digital music deal structures and strategies, evaluate deal performance and options, and start taking a leading role in negotiations with Sony Music’s commercial partners.
- You will be based in New York City and report to the Vice President of Global Business Development.
- This is a rare opportunity to have direct influence on music industry evolution, present recommendations to senior management, and negotiate deals that benefit Sony Music’s entire artist roster, while closely collaborating with diverse teams across the company and the globe.
- Share the team’s passion for music, digital media, and innovation
- Have a track record negotiating innovative, high-value digital content licensing deals that align interests among sophisticated business organizations
- Strong analytical skills, using data, insights and market realities to inform your recommendations, and to regularly re-assess the tactics and resources required to achieve objectives
- Ability to manage several projects simultaneously while working collaboratively with individuals across multiple functional areas of the business
- Demonstrated ability to pragmatically handle complex negotiation situations in a fast-paced international environment, and be a strong closer
- Proven experience in internal and external stakeholder management with the ability to build successful relationships founded on collaboration
- Very good communication skills, with the ability to thoroughly and concisely advise senior management, as well as educate colleagues, build relationships and enhance the overall organization’s culture, diversity and performance
- 4-year undergraduate degree
- At least one of the following:
- MBA/JD from top-tier program, and 3-6 years with a digital music/media organization in a business development, legal, or commercial role
- 4-6 years’ experience in a top tier management consultancy, investment banking, or corporate / business development position, and 2-4 years with a digital music/media organization in a business development role
- A strong team orientation required