Sony Music Entertainment is a global recorded music company with a roster of current artists that includes a broad array of both local artists and international superstars, as well as a vast catalog that comprises some of the most important recordings in history.
Sony Music Entertainment is a wholly owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation of America.
Sony Music is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of age, disability, national origin, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information or any other status protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
The Associate Director, Business Affairs will manage a variety of business affairs administration and licensing matters as part of the Sony Music Commercial Music Group (CMG) which encompasses, among other business units, the Sony Legacy label, The Thread Shop (merchandising), The SyncShop (master use licensing), and the Creative Services Division.
Drafting and limited negotiation of the following and other similar items:
- Merchandise agreements/licenses
- DMCA waivers
- Exclusivity waivers (including review of third party drafted waivers)
- Side-artist agreements
- Audit settlements
- Producer declarations
- Producer and/or payment direction LODs.
- Master Use Licenses
- Service Agreements
- Consultant Agreements
- Location and talent releases
- Other miscellaneous agreements related to catalog initiatives
Administration using various relevant Sony Music systems and tools:
- Extensive payee change research and review oversight (includes contract research and review)
- Budget approval routing
- Royalty account set up
- Address, payment and other general inquiries
- Union filings
- General royalty inquiries
- Promotional product/marketing track clearances
- Product/promotional marketing artwork clearances
- Strong drafting, negotiating, written and verbal communication skills, multitasking ability and knowledge of the music industry and intellectual property issues
- Ability to interact well with all levels within the organization, including senior executives
- Ability to work well in a collaborative, team oriented environment
- Self-motivated/works independently
- Proficiency in Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.
- Detail oriented, timely and accurate
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in business affairs at an entertainment law firm or media company
- Law degree required