VP, Business & Legal Affairs. Located in the US, preference of LA or New York depending on the candidate – FT Perm
Born from the passionate vision of two music industry veterans who wanted a more connected, transparent system for all, Songtradr has grown to be the world’s largest music ecosystem that provides a tech-enabled, one-stop solution for both artists and buyers.
We are an innovative and ambitious company and believe we are leaders because of our amazing team who passionately support our mission to streamline and connect the industry.
From one tiny Santa Monica office in 2014, we have grown to 300+ incredible humans with offices in 15 major cities across the world, delivering over 100%+ YoY revenue growth in recent years (plus we’ve acquired some of the industry’s most progressive teams and technologies).
Our clients include Google, Adidas, Netflix, VRBO, Fenty, and more. Nothing thrills us more than celebrating our clients’ successes. We are proud that our family of companies is regularly recognized with top creative industry awards such as Cannes Gold Lion, D&AD, Clios, Music and Sound Awards, London International Awards, Transform, and more.
And yet, our work is far from done. We will always continue to challenge ourselves, question, and strive for excellence…. All done with a shared love of music and changing the industry for good.
We are a fast-growing multinational music technology group that is scaling rapidly both organically and through targeted M&A. We are seeking a Vice President, Business & Legal Affairs to join the Songtradr team.
The Vice President, Business & Legal Affairs will lead the Business and Legal Affairs function and be responsible for drafting, reviewing, and executing legal agreements as well as assisting in management of the company’s legal and corporate affairs.
The ideal candidate will have extensive experience in the music industry and in particular music publishing, music distribution, and licensing.
Main Job Duties
Your role would include, but not be limited to the following:
We have a unique and rare opportunity for a driven and passionate Vice President, Business and Legal Affairs to lead the function. Reporting to the Group Chief Financial Officer, your responsibilities will include:
- Manage business affairs and legal matters with respect to the company’s music licensing agreements, and general corporate activities.
- Provide timely and thoughtful legal advice on potential risks and issues, and propose practical, responsive solutions.
- Advise senior executives and other employees on issues relating to deal structuring, risk mitigation strategy, and corporate policy.
- Review, draft and handle a wide range of commercial agreements, including:
- Music rights agreements
- Music licensing deals
- Global partnership deals
- Support the roll-out of new products and services etc.
- Work closely with our business teams (including product and development teams) to summarize and communicate legal concepts clearly and effectively and help them synthesize legal frameworks in developing their business strategies
- Improve our standard form agreements and legal processes to help us scale globally with a consistent but locally relevant approach
- Address music rights compliance issues and risk management
Supervise outside counsel
Desired Skills & Experience
- Juris Doctorate Degree required
- 8+ years of music rights and licensing experience, including direct, hands-on experience in structuring, negotiating and drafting music rights and licensing agreements, and product and technology agreements, either at a law firm or as in-house counsel.
- In-depth knowledge of music copyright
- Practical knowledge of the music and technology industries
- Comfort and flexibility in working with different jurisdictions and relevant practices
- Strategic thinking, excellent problem-solving, and analytical skills
- Ability to work cross-functionally and manage multiple, simultaneous initiatives
- Excellent written and verbal skills
- Ability to manage a heavy workload in a fast-paced environment with a high level of organization
- You love music and are passionate about Songtradr’s mission to increase the value of music for all
- Strong interpersonal skills, with experience building relationships with people at all levels
- Outstanding analytical and communication skills, including excellent drafting and negotiation skills.
- Ability to think creatively, and collaborate with key stakeholders to address business needs.
- Superior project management skills and ability to handle and track a high-volume workload.
- A self-motivated, proactive attorney capable of working autonomously and under tight timeframes, with support from team members as needed.
- Sound business judgment, resourceful and able to pivot quickly, think practically and be solution-oriented
How You’ll Fit Songtradr’s Culture
- CONSCIOUSLY COLLABORATIVE: You understand ‘team’ and collaborate with kindness and respect
- HUMBLY CONFIDENT: You’re confident but are never arrogant
- DILIGENTLY DRIVEN: You’re self-motivated, hard-working, and get results
- INNOVATIVE SOLUTIONS: You’re positive, open, and passionate about finding innovative solutions
- GOOD BUSINESS FOR ALL: You do what’s good for the business
Perks of the Job
- Flexible remote/hybrid work dependent on role
- Paid vacation time
- Health care benefits: dental, vision, 401 (k)
- Team health initiatives
You are welcome at Songtradr for who you are, no matter where you’re from, what you look like, or what’s playing in your headphones. Our platform is for everyone, and so is our workplace. The more voices we have represented and amplified in our business, the more we will all thrive, contribute, and be brilliant. So bring us your personal experience, your perspectives, and your background!
Since our launch in 2016, we have always been driven by our love for music and our intention to bring positive change to the industry. Today, that intention remains. We aim to continue the journey of unlocking the potential of human creativity through conscious innovation.