Sofar Sounds reimagines live events through curated, secret performances in intimate settings in more than 420 cities around the world.
At Sofar Sounds, we exist because of artists. We are all focused on connecting artists and those who support them on a deeper level. To date, over 30,000 artists have played a Sofar event somewhere in the world. As we continue to grow, we are investing even more in how we support artists. As the Artist Community Manager, you will ensure that every Sofar artist around the world feels heard, supported and connected. You will engage directly with the Sofar artist community and will serve as a leading artist advocate to inform Sofar’s further investment in supporting artists.
Artist Community Manager
REPORTING TO: CEO
Ideally Boston. We will consider candidates in NYC as well.
The Artist Community manager will work closely with a small, scrappy team to ensure every Sofar artist feels heard, supported and connected.
- Lead communication to Sofar artists around the world, across social channels, email and in-person sessions. Communicate with empathy and advocacy.
- Develop a deep understanding of the Sofar artist community, both qualitatively and quantitatively through in-person engagement and surveys.
- Recruit, develop and manage a small team of interns and full-time employees and full-time artist advocates to scale our artist outreach and engagement.
- Serve as an artist advocate internally, helping to set company priorities, product road map and other artist support initiatives.
- Set and achieve clear metrics to ensure success in artist engagement and sentiment.
- Stay in sync with other artist-facing teams (city operations, talent booking) to ensure clarity of operations and routing of specific artist needs to the right teams.
- Play a leading role in the rollout of new artist support programs, including education, tracking and measurement of such programs.
- Keep things loose and fun. Get out and see some shows.
The Ideal Candidate:
The ideal candidate brings together two must-have skills/experiences:
- Experience managing large communities with deep empathy, clarity of voice, efficiency and a strategic view toward the future you want to create. We’re open to all kinds of specific experience in this area, including community management, product marketing, social media management and evangelism. The key is a proven ability to engage with a big, diverse stakeholder group with clarity, consistency and empathy.
- You know what it’s like to be an artist and a performer — ideally, you’ve used a car as your green room before a show; you’ve suffered through more bass drum sound checks than you care to remember; you’ve crashed on couches and on the road between shows. Though experience as a performer is preferred, other experience evincing a deep empathy for working musicians (road management, artist management, etc) also considered.
SKILLS & COMPETENCIES:
- Deep commitment to connecting to all members of the community to make everyone feel welcome and heard, especially those with a different background from your own. This includes self-awareness to watch for unconscious biases and proactive steps to continually improve.
- A track record of success in managing small, but diverse teams to ensure that every member of the community feels a sense of 1:1 connection.
- Excellent communications skills — public speaking, email communication, social media and other forms of external communications
- Ability to synthesize company goals and objectives with the goals and objectives of the community, to inform all aspects of strategy — products, services and company identity.
- Highly visible, empathetic and hands-on communicator with the ability to build and lead a highly motivated, small scrappy team of interns and artist advocates.
- Analytical enough to play a role in how we solicit and interpret feedback from the community and to draw actionable insights from the feedback.
- Enjoys bringing order and structure to a ‘no charts,’ frenetic growth-stage company environment. Stays cool under pressure, able to deal with high-emotion situations while staying cool and focused.
- Collaborative problem solver with low ego and high emotional intelligence, able to build consensus across teams
- Experience working within a music or other creative community – focused company is a big plus.
- Cannot live without live music and knows how to have a good time
Sofar Sounds is a community that creates and shares experiences. We are committed to being a humble partner to emerging artists and to create magical experiences for fans. We are growing quickly, working hard to help more musicians in more cities. As a result, we expect our people to get things done efficiently and to help other team members. We also seek people who learn from and make changes as a result of feedback from one another and our community. The right candidate should be efficient, upbeat and embody the Sofar experience while sharing our vision for discovering great new music and creating the best live event experience in the world.
Sofar team culture is one of grit, efficiency, innovation, transparency and commitment to fostering a diverse, inclusive and welcoming environment. Values such as community-focus, humility and commitment to diversity of thought and background drive us forward.
Sofar Sounds offers a comprehensive benefits package as well as opportunities for career growth and development.
We’re a company of trust. What does that mean? If you need to take a break and go on a long walk, do it! If your family is in town and you want to spend the afternoon with them, do it! Need a vacation? Definitely do it! We trust our employees to take time when they need it.
At Sofar, we embrace diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We are inclusive. The more we live that, the better our work will be.
People who join Sofar Sounds have an excitement and energy about what we’re doing. They want to be a driving force of growth for emerging artists, committed to creating a magical experience for performers and fans alike, and this is reflected in the way they work.
We are growing swiftly, helping more musicians in more cities. As a result, we expect our people to get things done efficiently and to help other team members, whether a specific task is their role or not. Also to learn from, and make changes as a result of, feedback from one another and our community.
The right candidate should be efficient and upbeat, and needs to live the Sofar experience while sharing our vision for discovering great new music and creating the best live event experience in the world.
If you’re not based in Boston or NYC but are still interested in applying, please do! We are open to relocating someone if they are a rock star.