SOCAN is Canada’s largest member-based rights management organization. We serve and champion more than 160,000 music creators, publishers and visual artists, advocate for them, and protect their rights. We do this by using and building state-of-the art technology that ensures they are paid for their work – music and art we all enjoy.
Lead the Member Services Department to champion and advocate for SOCAN members and clients ensuring pro-active service is provided through problem identification and resolution.
Areas of the department include relationship management focused on recruitment, retention and repatriation also customer service and pro-active royalty tracking and query management.
Information and trends coming from members should help build out new products and services within the organization. The Chief Membership Officer should be forward looking to help develop the strategic offerings that members will need. This can include working directly with members, identifying trends and in keeping up with the industry and other collectives.
The Chief Membership Officer must have a passion and understanding of the Canadian music industry and a drive to keep it growing.
Responsible for all departmental drivers of member satisfaction across our publishers, and creators.
- Develop, implement, and maintain strategies to recruit, retain and repatriate Canadian publishers and creators;
- Recognize and define segmentation of members and develop strategies to address any differences;
- Drive Member satisfaction throughout SOCAN;
- Contribute to the overall SOCAN strategic plan and planning process.
- Oversee development of department budget and forecasting of expenses to budget;
- Structure – determine optimal structure of department and required skills and attributes;
- Oversee planning of and allocation of resources to events and monitor effectiveness for continuous improvement, impact on members and benefits to SOCAN;
- Learn from best practices in industry.
- Establish and monitor criteria, measures and tools that allow the team to deliver valuable customer service;
- Monitor member satisfaction and ensure that the results drive continuous improvement;
- Ensure communication, collaboration and appropriate continuity across all offices;
- Oversee member royalty advance program ensuring maximum support for the needs of members while mitigating risks sufficiently;
- Ensure effectiveness of Artist & Repertoire (A&R) Division’s activities in Recruitment; Retention and Repatriation, member education, career help, business development;
- Maintain SOCAN presence and awareness among all member communities wherever located.
- Lead department culture that strives for excellence and seeks to create a member centric “customer first” culture;
- Create an inclusive environment sensitive to all stakeholders;
- Ensure respect for all SOCAN members and employees across all languages and backgrounds;
- Encourage continuous learning and a high level of music business, music culture & music rights knowledge, for both Performing and Reproduction Rights;
- Ensure sufficient expert knowledge among staff of the needs of the broader creator and music publisher communities;
- Approach problem solving with creativity.
- Build and develop the membership management team;
- Ensure all key positions have succession plans;
- Encourage continuous learning within team and help to develop ongoing training programs.
- Be the “Voice of the Member” to SOCAN product group to generate member product solutions.
Reporting and Communications
- Responsible for Membership Department’s reports to SOCAN Board of Directors;
- Obtain necessary approval from Board based on related policies;
- Highly accountable to ensuring that communications are timely and accurate, and that new services are delivered on time.
- Foster collaboration within team and across member royalty streams to ensure there is full knowledge of royalties collected and distributed for performing and reproduction rights;
- Collaborate with other SOCAN departments for Membership Department needs, and assisting with the needs of the other departments;
- Maintain positive relations with Industry Associations;
- Collaboration with the SOCAN Foundation.
Canadian Songwriters Hall of Fame (CSHF)
- Oversee the Canadian Songwriters Hall of fame (CSHF) as SOCAN Executive Sponsor.
- Strong strategic view and ability to work and drive results within an organization
- Respect for Creators & Rights Holders & Music Publishers
- Communication skills and ability to identify key issues and develop solutions to work with our creator and music publisher communities
- Knowledge of, and extensive contacts within the Canadian and US music industry
- Understanding of music production, music creation, screen production and publishing
- Ability to relate to creative people
- Appreciation for a wide breadth of music genres including both mainstream and non- mainstream
- Able to recognize, create, and act upon opportunities to enhance the careers and businesses of Members
- Extensive knowledge of SOCAN, performing rights, reproduction rights and copyright in general
- Knowledge of Music Rights Organizations their processes, value and potential financial impact for new members
- Business acumen
- Strong leadership skills
- Broad knowledge of SOCAN operations
- Ability to speak to media and in public forums
- Willingness to travel
- Strong negotiation skills
- Proven talent discovery, development and people networking skills
- Finger on the pulse of contemporary music
SOCAN is committed to providing an inclusive workplace environment that meets the accessibility needs of employees with disabilities. Should you require accommodations please contact us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will make the necessary accommodations. Applications submitted to this email address will not be accepted.
EQUALITY, DIVERSITY, and INCLUSIVITY
SOCAN embraces equality, diversity and inclusivity and believes that all employees and members deserve to be treated with respect, dignity, and kindness. SOCAN is committed to fostering a culture of inclusion and diversity that respects and embraces the unique backgrounds, perspectives, experiences and talents of individuals at all levels.
READY TO JOIN SOCAN and MAKE A DIFFERENCE?
Please visit our career page at: https://www.socan.com/careers/ and select “Apply” beside the role you are interested in applying for.
We thank everyone for their interest however, only qualified applicants will be contacted.
To learn more about SOCAN, please visit www.socan.com.