The Smule mission is to connect people all over the world through the joy of making music at massive social scale. Music is much more than just listening… It’s about creating, sharing, discovering, participating, and connecting with people. It is a social network with the power to break down barriers, touch souls and bring people together from all over the world.
Smule today has about 30 million monthly active users and is still growing at a fast pace. We’re looking for a seasoned leader who has expertise in music copyrights licensing in the entertainment industry with extensive experience advising disruptive technology companies.
Location: Anywhere in the US with a preference to candidates based out of Tennessee. Other locations will be considered.
Ideal Candidate Background
The ideal candidate will have a demonstrated consistent success in positions of increasing responsibility. He/she will have an outstanding track record and reputation for his/her leadership, business and financial acumen, strategic thinking, business judgment, negotiation excellence, and analytical ability. An ideal background will include:
- Proven success as the senior licensing or business affairs manager in an entrepreneurial environment or a licensing partner in a law firm specializing in music copyright licenses in the entertainment industry with extensive experience advising disruptive technology companies. Preferred candidate will have both private, and public company experience.
- Substantial legal background of licensing in a reputable law firm and/or in the entertainment industry. Either a former attorney who transitioned into a business licensing role but is handling both the drafting and negotiations of license agreements or a practicing attorney with extensive business negotiation experience, who is excited about a combined legal licensing and business affairs role.
- Advanced understanding of music related copyright laws and the various licensing models is a must.
- Must be a “hands on”, creative “out of the box” thinker, with excellent leadership, strategic planning and team building skills. Garners trust and loyalty from peers, senior management, subordinates and external partners.
- Demonstrated proficiency in ability to analyze financial data and apply it to licensing negotiations.
- Experience managing relationships with licensors in the entertainment and music industry worldwide.
- Deep understanding of the entertainment and music industry key market players in the U.S. and internationally, including market dynamics and negotiation strategies.
- Growth stage experience is critical: able to balance the needs of a dynamic, fast ramp company with the overarching requirements of fiscal responsibility, creative solutions, uncertainty and financial and legal controls. Able to put in place just enough processes to manage, enable, guide, and scale an emerging business, but not so many as to encumber it.
- System implementation experience for contract management and reporting and payment calculation is a plus.
- Minimum 8 years in positions of increasing responsibility in licensing negotiation leadership roles.
- Personal passion for industry leading technology and execution
- Strategic thinking combined with the ability to execute, and as needed, change strategy to respond to movements in the market.
- Flexible, independent, forward thinking with a willingness to engage in all aspects of the business
- Project management capabilities: ability to plan, initiate, monitor and implement a strategy and execute projects that achieve strategic goals within a team
- Excellent written, oral, interpersonal and presentation skills while having the ability to work effectively with multiple functional areas in a collaborative, team environment.
- A proactive, hands-on, roll-up sleeves individual able to command respect of both internal organization as well as external partners through leadership, deep subject matter expertise, solution oriented approach, intelligence and hard work
- Proven ability and desire to work effectively, delivering accurate results under tight deadlines, in a fast paced, entrepreneurial, dynamic environment
- Strong leadership abilities. Decisive. Concentrates on high priority issues
- Strong attention to detail.
- Unquestionable integrity, credibility, and character
* ONLY ACCEPTING U.S. BASED CANDIDATES*