Secretly Group is a successful group of 3 record labels and a music publisher founded in 1996. The company represents artists, writers, film makers, producers, and comedians. Secretly operates globally and has garnered 9 gold and platinum records and multiple Grammy, Mercury Prize, and Brit Award nominations.
The Secretly-affiliated music companies include Secretly Group (including music labels Dead Oceans, Jagjaguwar and Secretly Canadian, and leading independent music publisher Secretly Publishing), The Numero Group, Ghostly International, 37d03d, and global music distributor Secretly Distribution. The companies partner with hundreds of leading artists and songwriters including Phoebe Bridgers, Bon Iver, The War On Drugs, Mary Lattimore, Syl Johnson, Tycho, Moses Sumney, Pastor TL Barrett, Mitski and Angel Olsen, to name just a few, as well as hundreds of distributed music labels such as Captured Tracks, Sacred Bones, Rhymesayers International, Asthmatic Kitty and Touch & Go.
Secretly’s main offices are located in New York City, London, Bloomington (Indiana), Los Angeles and Chicago.
We are seeking an experienced attorney and music business affairs executive, capable of leading and mentoring a team of lawyers and skilled licensing managers and administrators. The General Counsel and their team drafts and negotiates agreements on behalf of the Secretly-affiliated companies, including deals with artists, distributors, technology vendors, licensors, digital services and more. She/he/they shall be able to advise on and execute business strategy for Secretly-affiliated companies, as well as provide guidance to other Secretly-affiliated departments. The successful candidate will help us ensure legal compliance and limit risk exposure. The successful candidate will be based in either New York, NY, Los Angeles, CA or Bloomington, IN.
- Provide leadership to the Business Affairs team, and work with the partners and other leaders at Secretly and its affiliated companies to ensure proactive strategic and transactional legal services are in place to meet the needs of a group of growing businesses.
- Serve as the executive advising on risk management and legal best practices for the companies.
- Draft and negotiate each business unit’s agreements, including intra company agreements as well as deals with artists, distributors, technology vendors, licensors, and digital services.
- Work closely with the team to ensure that all agreements are accurately summarized and communicated to relevant departments.
- Provide advice and guidance in developing and implementing new business strategies, including with respect to label arrangements, artist arrangements, digital platforms, digital sales, video distribution, digital asset management/delivery, and non-traditional physical retail.
- Advise and assist Secretly-affiliated companies in developing and executing company’s overall business goals.
- Manage corporate entities, including the supervision of corporate board meetings.
- Provide ongoing legal advice and guidance to Secretly-affiliated companies, including, with respect to digital retail arrangements, digital operations, privacy, antitrust issues, and other arrangements with retailers.
- Ensure compliance with contractual and legal obligations, including the participation in the development and implementation of contract-related policies and procedures.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Leadership experience as an attorney responsible for a range of matters across multiple business models in today’s fast evolving music ecosystem.
- Strong negotiating, analytical, and organizational skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills to successfully interface with business affairs team, outside attorneys, senior management, and general staff.
- Decision making skills that are based on ethics and integrity.
- Ability to keep abreast of legislative changes regarding copyright throughout the world.
- Experience setting internal governance policies and managing the impact of external factors.
- Ability to anticipate issues and estimate risks strategically.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Sound and practical business judgment.
- Hands-on leader and practitioner with attention to detail and the ability to manage a high-volume workload efficiently and smoothly.
- Ability to multi-task and balance competing priorities, most of which operate on a time sensitive basis.
- Familiarity with the music industry and independent music companies.
- At least 3 years relevant transactional legal experience preferred.
- At least 2 years of music industry experience preferred.
- Active license to practice law in either Indiana or New York.
- Health, Vision, Dental and Life Insurance.
- Paid holidays.
- Paid vacation days.
A competitive salary, incentive and benefits package will be offered, commensurate with the role and the relevant experience of the final hire.
Please apply via LinkedIn.
Equal Opportunity and Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
The company is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, age, or any other status protected by law. Further, the company strives to create a diverse, welcoming, equitable and inclusive environment for all applicants, employees, customers and suppliers.
The job description above is intended to set forth the general nature of the work that will be expected of the person who takes on this role. The job description is not, however, meant to be construed as an exhaustive list of all the duties and responsibilities required for this role. From time to time, all colleagues may be required to perform duties outside their normal responsibilities as needed, and the priorities within each role evolve over time based on the needs of the business.