We’re hiring a DIRECTOR OF ROSTER DEVELOPMENT
Sam Hill Entertainment is looking for a Director of Roster Development to lead our roster team in the recruitment, development and relationship management of our exclusive roster of live bands.
The roster team focuses on growing and maintaining the quality and number of bands we represent in order to meet the huge demand for live music at weddings and special events. We accomplish this by recruiting, developing and guiding bands to be successful in our industry, and ensuring that our bands have a consistently positive experience working with our agency and our clients.
If you are passionate about realizing the long-term success of those you serve, understand the needs and perspective of professional bands, and have the business and leadership skills to guide the team that supports them, we’re looking for you.
WE ARE SAM HILL
Welcome to Sam Hill Entertainment. We represent amazing live bands that dazzle guests at weddings, corporate events and private parties around the country. Our job is to power our bands with great gigs and provide the steady support they need to be successful, and to ensure that our clients have an extraordinary experience from start to finish when booking and working with our bands.
Sam Hill is founded on the belief that music is an essential part of any celebration, and that live music impacts people in an especially powerful way. Underlying everything we do is the belief that successful bands must not only be great performers, they must also be great for our clients to work with. We are most successful when we enable our bands to shine and our entire team to do their best work.
The culture at Sam Hill is based on creating connection – to each other, and to where we are headed. We focus on creating a healthy remote-first work environment for everyone, including regular in-person work and social time. We keep our eye on our goals and on how each member of our team contributes to accomplishing them.
We are people you can count on, people who always want to do it better next time, and people who are more interested in those we serve than in serving ourselves. We take pride in the fact that most of our staff has been with us for over a decade, and we love the new ideas and fresh perspective we get when we welcome new folks onto the team.
- What We Do: Empower celebrations through live music
- Why We Do It: To elevate the experience of hiring a band
- Homebase: Downtown District, Charlottesville, VA
- Region: Primarily Mid-Atlantic and Southeast
- Exclusive Bands: 50 and growing
- Founded: 1995
- Employees: 10
- Remote-first work with regular in-person time
- Focus on connection to co-workers and company
- Emphasis on the experience of clients, bands, and staff
- Established, shared values
- People empowered by technology
- Most employees in their 30s and 40s
- Many employees are musicians
- #1 Happiest City in America, U.S. National Bureau of Economic Research
- #1 Best College Town in America, Travelers Today
- #5 U.S. Community for Well-Being, Gallup-Healthways Well-Being Index
- Among the top 15 US cities with most restaurants per capita
- Best Small Cities in the U.S., National Geographic Traveler, 2018
- No. 5 Healthiest, Happiest City in the U.S., The Today Show, 2017
- No. 9 America’s Favorite Mountain Town
- Gateway to Shenandoah National Park, Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway
- Over 30 wineries and breweries within 30 mile radius of Charlottesville
- Population: 47,000
DIRECTOR OF ROSTER DEVELOPMENT
This position represents an opportunity to grow a key area of our company that has a huge impact on our bands’ success as well as our own. It also represents an opportunity to further differentiate Sam Hill as a leader in the private event industry by continuing to invest in our band relationships and setting the standard for what makes bands successful in this space.
The Director of Roster Development’s role is to oversee all functions of the roster department, including recruitment of new bands, development of bands’ marketing potential, relationship management, band-agency communication, and client service best practices. Recruitment is critical to the growth of the company and involves identifying people who are capable of building and managing successful bands and partnering with them for representation. The Director also manages all members of the roster team, collaborates with other teams within the company, and contributes to company strategy and direction as a member of the leadership team.
The Director of Roster Development must contribute to building strong relationships with our bands and take the lead in directing programs and processes to ensure that the operations that support our roster run smoothly. We’re looking for at least 10 years of professional experience as a foundation for the core responsibilities of the job.
Reports to: Founder/CEO
Works closely with: Booking team, creative team, finance team
Supervises: Roster Coordinator (current active position), Roster Managers (future positions)
Time Commitment: Full-time, flexible, 80-90% business hours, 10-20% evening/weekend
Location: Remote from VA, NC, SC, GA, DC or MD; periodic in-person work
Travel: Occasional-to-moderate travel around the Southeast
Start: Summer 2021
Compensation: $80-100k salary range depending on experience
Benefits: Health, retirement and flexible PTO
- 4 year college degree
- 10 years professional work experience
- Involvement in the business of professional bands
- Client or vendor relationship management
- Development of the marketability of a product or service
- Leading a team
- Ability to clearly articulate ideas verbally and in writing
- Problem-solving skills
- Familiarity and comfort with modern technology • Quantitative skills (spreadsheets, reports, finances)
- Involvement in the special event industry
- Experience leading, owning or managing a band
- Participation in the management of a business
- Familiarity with locations and nature of special events in the Southeastern US
- Direct recruitment strategy
- Direct communication strategy
- Develop and reinforce client service best practices
- Develop programs that improve operations and add value to our roster • Establish and enforce department processes
- Research industry product and service trends
- Represent department on company leadership team
- Oversee recruitment of new bands
- Oversee agency communication with roster
- Oversee development of each band’s marketing potential
- Translate bands’ cost structure into pricing guidelines
- Review band performance metrics
- Lead and manage team members
- Manage department budget
We’d love to hear from you!
To apply: SamHillBands.com/careers