The Vice President, Business & Legal Affairs for Saban Music Group (SMG) is responsible for negotiating, drafting and executing agreements relating to the production, acquisition and exploitation of intellectual property rights. The desired candidate will have relevant BA experience at a music label or firm focused on the music industry. This individual will be responsible for all legal aspects of music entertainment including recorded music, publishing, brands, merchandising and touring. This position reports to the CEO and is a key member of the executive management team.
- Negotiate and draft artist, recording, producer, writer and publishing agreements • Negotiate and draft agreements on behalf of artist and/or SMG related to brand sponsorships merchandise deals and touring activities
- Manage ongoing contractual relationships and handle all business affairs for a roster of artists • Render general business and legal advice to all areas of the company
- Review and approve royalty statements
- Review live performance and appearance agreements of SMG artists
- Analyze and negotiate audit settlements
- Review and approve visual content for commercial exploitation
- Clear rights and enter into agreements with third party services including video production companies, photographers, consultants, etc.
- Manage trademark and copyright protection as well as manage claims and litigation • Conduct and provide general legal research, particularly related to intellectual property rights • Manage in-house attorney
- Engage with external law firms as necessary
- Attend company and industry events
- Excellent drafting/writing and communication skills
- Senior level experience working for a music entertainment law firm or label negotiating and drafting agreements in connection with the intellectual property rights
- Senior level experience working in the music industry, ideally including Latin and international • Strong deal maker / closer approach
- J.D, plus admission to the California State Bar
- Well organized, detail oriented with ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines while managing multiple concurrent tasks
- Ability to proactively and productively work in team settings, including being receptive, open minded and objective when encountering diverse points of view
- Unwavering confidentiality, privacy, discretion and flexibility to work with multiple departments • Eats, lives and breathes music with an intense passion to win
- Fluent in Spanish is a plus but not required
Saban Music Group is a music entertainment company that embraces the globalization of music and works with artists with international appeal. Saban Music Group focuses on signing and breaking new acts by building bridges where artists and business partners can efficiently reach their target audiences. The company is committed to providing resources to its artists through a 360-model encompassing recorded music, publishing, touring, brand partnerships, merchandising, and more. SMG has offices in New York and Los Angeles.
We are committed to creating a diverse environment and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
For more information please contact Kristine Bohrer, Recruiter at firstname.lastname@example.org or 646.725.4685.