Saban Music Group is seeking a Director, Business & Legal Affairs with excellent judgment to draft, review, and negotiate contracts relating to the production, acquisition, and exploitation of intellectual property rights, and design and drive contract management processes for the Legal Department.
We are looking for a talented, entrepreneurial, charismatic individual who is eager to play a significant role in the next phase of our company.
- Draft, review and negotiate the business terms of a variety of standard and non‐standard music industry agreements, including recording agreements, producer agreements, license agreements, songwriter agreements, sponsorship agreements, live performance agreements, sample and side artist agreements and manage their administration
- Review contracts and summarize all rights, obligations and related matters and identify and escalate potential issues to the Head of Business & Legal Affairs and other stakeholders • Manage the tracking of recording and publishing delivery commitments
- Manage and alert the company of all relevant expirations, option deadlines, statement deadlines and audit deadlines and recommend appropriate business processes to avoid loss of rights
- Organize and maintain library of executed agreements, form agreements, negotiated language and legal memos and make best‐practices recommendations that support the strategic objectives of our music, music publishing and related businesses
- Conduct and provide general legal research and analysis, particularly related to intellectual property rights
- Assist in the trademark and copyright registration process for all Saban Music Group properties
- 5+ years of experience drafting and negotiating agreements in the music industry (recorded music, publishing and/or touring)
- J.D., plus admission to the California State Bar
- Superior attention to detail and organizational skills with the ability to prioritize high‐volume work in a fast‐paced, dynamic environment while effectively meeting deadlines • Excellent drafting, communication, research, and analytical skills
- Team ethic and ability to work between multiple departments to reach a common goal
- Ability to proactively and productively work in team settings, including being receptive, open minded and objective when encountering diverse points of view
- Self‐starter with ability to multi‐task, excellent work ethic, judgment and commitment to managing assignments with professionalism and integrity
- Lives, sleeps, and breathes music industry with intense passion to close deals • Ambitious self‐starter able to work with minimal direction
- Ability to thrive in an entrepreneurial / start‐up setting, while being receptive, open‐minded, and objective when encountering diverse points of view
- Fluency in Spanish is a plus
Saban Music Group is a Los Angeles‐based recorded, publishing and all‐around music rights entertainment company with a worldwide view of the industry. The company embraces the globalization of music and works with artists with international appeal. Saban Music Group focuses on signing and breaking new acts by building bridges where artists and business partners can efficiently reach their target audiences. Operationally, the company has three main pillars: artists signed as partners to 360 models, a music publishing entity, and an acquisitions arm, working together with the agility and flexibility of an independent startup and the resources of a major label, music publisher and investor.
For more information please contact Kristine Bohrer, Recruiter at [email protected] or 646.725.4685.
We are committed to creating a diverse environment and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.