Full service business management firm, RZO, is hiring for an experienced auditor to join its team in in New York City.
The Royalty Auditor will apply previously acquired auditing, management, analytical, and communication skills to immediately add value to the Royalty Group team.
This position will manage and conduct participation and royalty audits in the entertainment industry, as well as participate in or lead special projects as needed.
Responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
- Conducting complex royalty audits of record companies and music publishers, primarily;
- Engaging in audits of merchandise companies, book publishers, tour promoters, film and TV companies, and other percentage-based rights income payors;
- Preparing valuations of music catalogues, generally for individual songwriters, for both estate tax purposes and purchase/sales transactions;
- Performing royalty administration functions for such as generating producer, publisher, songwriter and other royalty statements for 3rd parties on behalf of clients;
- Collecting and analyzing royalty statements;
- Reading and interpreting complex royalty agreements;
- Liaising with external companies and client professional representatives;
- Utilizing analytical skills to conduct complex analysis and meet time sensitive reporting deadlines, while maintaining a professional attitude under pressure;
- Evaluating contracts and licenses to ensure accuracy in reported royalties;
- Providing timely and complete responses to licensing and royalty related inquiries from clients or their representatives;
- Analyze areas of potential issues including, but not limited to, underreporting of receipts and overreporting of expenses; and,
- Maintain accurate and complete workpapers and files for all audits and activities.
- Good written and oral communications skills.
- Self-starter with demonstrated ability to work autonomously on multiple projects while under pressure.
- Proven ability to think ahead with vision and a proactive approach.
- Experience developing and managing budgets including forecasting with demonstrated analytical skills within the music industry.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and strong general computer skills.
- Analytical ability sufficient to assess and verify accuracy of accounting and auditing records and reports.
- Ability to take project ownership and see through completion.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related field required; CPA preferred.
- Familiarity with entertainment or rights-based contracts and the ability to read, understand and summarize contracts is a plus for an applicant to this position.
- A desire to understand the complexities of copyright law and the related flow of royalties to rights holders is expected.
- Some travel required. Generally, but not limited to, 4-6 trips of 1 to 2 weeks each during the year. Could be more some years and less some years.
- Our clients are world-known musicians and entertainers. A very high standard of work product is expected, and confidentiality is essential.