We are UMG, the Universal Music Group. We are the world’s leading music company.
In everything we do, we are committed to artistry, innovation and entrepreneurship. We own and operate a broad array of businesses engaged in recorded music, music publishing, merchandising, and audio-visual content in more than 60 countries.
We identify and develop recording artists and songwriters, and we produce, distribute and promote the most critically acclaimed and commercially successful music to delight and entertain fans around the world.
Republic Records is seeking a Media Manager, Urban with ideally 6-8 years of experience in the entertainment/music industry. This individual should also ideally have broad musical interest across genres with a particular focus on urban. The position requires a self-starter who can work both independently and within a team environment. Working under the EVP of Publicity the candidate will be involved in all aspects of PR campaigns for releases on Republic Records.
- Pitch story ideas, arrange and facilitate artist interviews print and online media
- Pursue television opportunities
- Organize artist press trips- coordinate daily itineraries
- Participate and contribute to brainstorm sessions for artist campaigns
- Artists with indy PR, you will oversee their press campaigns and continuously supply information; liaise between PR firm and artist management and label staff
- Write or supervise all writing and editing and provide direction to ensure quality control for artist press materials
- Provide product managers with approved artist materials
- Communicate regularly with product managers regarding project status
- Send materials company-wide for key announcements, events, artist success
- Liaise with other departments on cross promotion
- Update and maintain database
- Organize mailings to journalists, and send out packages as required
- Process invoices for publicity vendors
- Strong computer skills, ability to quickly adapt and learn new applications
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs, including: PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook, Word
- Strong communication abilities with the ability to write and convey media strategy plans/efforts to executives and management
- Strong interpersonal and teamwork skills, including adaptability, personal effectiveness, and the ability to establish quick rapport
- Attention to detail and strong organizational skills a must, as is the ability to juggle many tasks at one time and change gears quickly
- Must be highly self-motivated and the ability to thrive independently in a flexible, fast-paced team environment
- Publicity driven with a keen sense of news and trends
- Excellent social media skills
- Experience managing multiple short- and long-term plans simultaneously
- Exceptional judgment when working with team members, client contacts and vendors
- Manage account finances, develop accurate estimates and adhere to approved budgets
- Job requires working non-traditional hours, weekends and some travel
- Must have excellent written skills including bios, press releases, pitch letters
- Strong track record on working with top tier press and established relationships with all media types – TV bookers, National Media, Consumer and Music Magazines, Dailies, Weeklies, Key Online, Bloggers, tastemakers,
- Tour press
- Press days/junkets
- On-site media/red carpet
- Event management
- Crisis management
- Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, English, Public Relations or Marketing preferred
- At least 8+ years music industry experience with an emphasis on consumer-driven marketing with large agency/client experience strongly preferred
Universal Music Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This job description only provides an overview of job responsibilities that are subject to change.