We have an exciting opportunity for a Lead Counsel (Technology & Innovation) to join our team on a part-time basis working 2 or 3 days a week at our Kings Cross office.
The role will start working remotely with the opportunity to continue with some remote-working once we return to the office.
PRS for Music Limited is the UK’s leading collecting society. We undertake collective rights management for musical works on behalf of over 150,000 members and we pay royalties to them when their work is performed, broadcast, streamed, downloaded, reproduced, played in public or used in film and TV. We support them by influencing policy, supporting, and hosting awards and events, and investing in new technology to ensure we are fit for the digital music age.
About the Role
This is an exciting role for an experienced commercial/IT/technology lawyer to lead the provision of advice to PRS for Music and its group companies on IT related and other complex agreements concerning the use of technology. You will also be responsible for advising on other commercial agreements for goods and services procured by PRS for Music. The role will involve the supervision of other lawyers in the team assisting with this kind of work.
Although the emphasis is very much on the area of work described above, you will also have the opportunity to get involves in others areas of legal work relating to the business of PRS for Music, such as licensing, membership matters, corporate and managing PRS for Music’s international relationships.
- You will be a qualified solicitor or barrister with expertise and experience, gained in-house and/or in private practice, of commercial law and agreements, particularly in relation to technology licensing and procurement.
- Degree level qualification (2:1 (or above) LLB in Law or equivalent)
- Strong Microsoft Office and other IT skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and liaising with colleagues and internal clients at all levels, external professionals, members and the public
- Experience of supervising the work of others
- Strong intellectual skills, conscientious with appropriate attention to detail.
- Self-motivated and self-reliant.
- Strong communication skills, both written and oral, including presentation skills. Ability to use appropriate level of language depending on audience, avoiding complex legal jargon.
- High level of integrity, discretion and confidentiality.
- Strong negotiation skills.
- Ability to work under pressure and to juggle and manage a large workload, balancing the needs of all clients.
- Ability to build strong relationships with colleagues within the organisation, with board directors and business contacts.
- Knowledge of the music industry is an advantage though by no means essential
- We live by our values they are deeply ingrained in our company culture. We want to help you grow throughout your career, so we have plenty of development opportunities for you
including work-shadowing, study-support, variety of courses and a bespoke online learning platform.
- We are proud of the benefits which we offer to our employees. These include wellbeing activities throughout the year, flexible working, enhanced maternity leave, a generous annual leave entitlement and corporate discounts including gym membership & a cycle to work scheme.
- We also have a number of perks including home working, regular live music events including virtual events, roof terraces on both sites, subsidised cafes, and a relaxed dress code.
Does this sound like you? If so, we would love to hear from you – apply now and send your CV & Covering Letter to [email protected]
(PRS For Music is continuing to follow the Government recommendation in light of COVID -19 to ensure the safety and wellbeing of our staff, members and candidates.
Our focus is to provide our members with the best service and support, and therefore we remain focused on our resourcing strategy and continue to encourage applications for advertised roles. We have now transitioned our staff to work from home and have adopted a remote interviewing, onboarding and training process.
We are committed to only recruit for vacancies that are essential to the livelihood and continued service to our members.)