We have an exciting opportunity for a Lead Counsel (Litigation) to join our Legal team working at our Kings Cross office.
The role will start working remotely with the opportunity to continue with some remote-working once we return to the office.
PRS for Music Limited is the UK’s leading collecting society. We undertake collective rights management for musical works on behalf of over 150,000 members and we pay royalties to them when their work is performed, broadcast, streamed, downloaded, reproduced, played in public or used in film and TV. We support them by influencing policy, supporting, and hosting awards and events, and investing in new technology to ensure we are fit for the digital music age.
About the Role
We have an exciting opportunity for an experienced IP/litigation lawyer to lead the provision of advice to PRS for Music and its group companies on complex and high-profile litigation and disputes. You will be responsible for advising on cutting edge copyright litigation, including work on high profile infringement claims and rate disputes.
We face challenges across all areas of music rights, including music and video streaming services, social media, broadcasters, and public performance. You will advise and work on the resolution of disputes in these areas with external counsel, through court proceedings, copyright tribunal references, arbitration and ADR, and ombudsman complaints. You will also be responsible for the provision of advice and will lead litigation and dispute resolution in other areas of the business, including around audits of licensees, suppliers, and membership, instructing, and managing outside counsel where necessary.
The role has two direct reports and requires the effective management and oversight of the PRS for Music Rights Protection Unit, and its associated anti-piracy strategy and processes. The management of the Rights Protection Unit will involve collaborating with others across the UK and international music industry on anti-piracy measures, and on other initiatives to address the emerging threats facing the legitimate online market.
Although the emphasis is very much on the area of work described above, you will also have the opportunity to get involved in others areas of legal work relating to the business of PRS for Music, such as licensing, membership matters, corporate, legal and regulatory compliance, policy initiatives, and managing PRS for Music’s international relationships.
You will be a qualified solicitor or barrister with relevant expertise and substantial post-qualification experience, gained in-house and/or in private practice, of litigation, particularly in relation to copyright or other intellectual property rights.
- Degree level qualification (2:1 (or above) LLB in Law or equivalent)
- Strong Microsoft Office and other IT skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and liaising with colleagues and internal clients at all levels, external professionals, members, and the public
- Experience of managing others, or supervising the work of others
- Strong intellectual skills, conscientious with appropriate attention to detail.
- Self-motivated and self-reliant.
- Strong communication skills, both written and oral, including presentation skills. Ability to use appropriate level of language depending on audience, avoiding complex legal jargon.
- High level of integrity, discretion, and confidentiality.
- Strong negotiation skills.
- Ability to work under pressure and to juggle and manage a large workload, balancing the needs of all clients.
- Ability to build strong relationships with all colleagues within the organisation, including with board directors and senior business contacts.
- You will enjoy working as part of a wider team and will be looking for a role with line management responsibilities.
- Knowledge of the music industry or of other content industries is an advantage though by no means essential.
We live by our values they are deeply ingrained in our company culture. We want to help you grow throughout your career, so we have plenty of development opportunities for you including work-shadowing, study-support, variety of courses and a bespoke online learning platform.
We are proud of the benefits which we offer to our employees. These include wellbeing activities throughout the year, flexible working, enhanced maternity leave, a generous annual leave entitlement and corporate discounts including gym membership & a cycle to work scheme.
We also have a number of perks including home working, regular live music events including virtual events, roof terraces on both sites, subsidised cafes, and a relaxed dress code.
Does this sound like you? If so, we would love to hear from you – apply now and send your CV & Covering Letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
(PRS For Music is continuing to follow the Government recommendation in light of COVID -19 to ensure the safety and wellbeing of our staff, members and candidates.
Our focus is to provide our members with the best service and support, and therefore we remain focused on our resourcing strategy and continue to encourage applications for advertised roles. We have now transitioned our staff to work from home and have adopted a remote interviewing, onboarding and training process.
We are committed to only recruit for vacancies that are essential to the livelihood and continued service to our members.)