We have an exciting opportunity for a Head of Legal to join our team working at our Kings Cross office. The role will start working remotely with the opportunity to continue with some remote-working once we return to the office.
PRS for Music Limited is the UK’s leading collecting society. We undertake collective rights management for musical works on behalf of over 150,000 members and we pay royalties to them when their work is performed, broadcast, streamed, downloaded, reproduced, played in public or used in film and TV. We support them by influencing policy, supporting, and hosting awards and events, and investing in new technology to ensure we are fit for the digital music age.
About the Role
The Head of Legal will have an operational focus to ensure effective delivery of services to the business, as well as managing delivery of our corporate and international work.
- Managing agreed budgets, setting the operational strategy for the provision of legal services to the Company, including identifying process improvements across the Legal team and implementing the use of best practice technology to assist in the delivery of work.
- Line management of team members (two Lead Counsels, one Lawyer and one paralegal) to ensure effective provision of legal advice and support in respect of corporate and international business areas.
- Responsible, with Lead Counsel International, for delivery of legal advice to the International business teams, including strategic advice on PRS’s approach to particular geographic markets, advice on applicable law in foreign jurisdictions and general commercial advice on international agreements.
- Responsible, with Lead Counsel Corporate, for ensuring effective legal advice in respect of the PRS Group companies (joint ventures). This is mainly corporate advisory work with occasional transactional work, including the set-up, reorganisation or termination of PRS joint venture companies. The role also manages delivery of advice relating to the implementation of shareholder and other agreements, amendments to them and escalation of any issues arising from them.
- Responsible, with Lead Counsel Corporate, for delivery of legal advice to support Company Secretariat function including proposed changes to our constitutional documents.
- Responsible, with the General Counsel and Associate General Counsels, for ensuring legal advice is delivered to the business on key policy and copyright issues, including supporting the public affairs function in responding to consultations and preparing position papers relating to PRS rights.
- PRS strategic portfolio: Responsible for directing legal support to strategic projects from time to time.
This is an exciting role for an experienced solicitor or barrister with a focus on commercial and corporate matters. You have experience of working in-house and you have a good sense of how technology can help the Legal team deliver. You are either looking to take your first step up to a Head of Legal role or you may want a change of scene. Having a genuine interest in music and/or other rights issues is going to help set you apart, as will a desire to work in a content-based business with data at its core.
Other helpful experience includes:
- Experience in managing and leading a team of lawyers or supervising the work of others.
- Strong intellectual skills, conscientious with appropriate attention to detail.
- Self-motivated and self-reliant.
- Strong communication skills, both written and oral, including presentation skills. Ability to use appropriate level of language depending on audience, including baord committee members, avoiding complex legal jargon.
- Ability to manage a number of direct reports, to motivate and lead the Legal team, cultivating a culture of excellence for the division as well as for direct reports.
- High level of integrity, discretion and confidentiality.
- Strong negotiation skills.
- Ability to work under pressure and to juggle and manage a large workload, balancing the needs of all clients.
- Ability to build strong relationships with colleagues within the organisation, with board directors and business contacts.
- Knowledge of the structure of the industry and of rights organisations in the UK and internationally.
We live by our values they are deeply ingrained in our company culture. We want to help you grow throughout your career, so we have plenty of development opportunities for you
including work-shadowing, study-support, variety of courses and a bespoke online learning platform.
We are proud of the benefits which we offer to our employees. These include wellbeing activities throughout the year, flexible working, enhanced maternity leave, a generous annual leave entitlement and corporate discounts including gym membership & a cycle to work scheme.
We also have a number of perks including home working, regular live music events including virtual events, roof terraces on both sites, subsidised cafes, and a relaxed dress code.
Does this sound like you? If so, we would love to hear from you – apply now and send your CV & Covering Letter to [email protected]
(PRS For Music is continuing to follow the Government recommendation in light of COVID -19 to ensure the safety and wellbeing of our staff, members and candidates.
Our focus is to provide our members with the best service and support, and therefore we remain focused on our resourcing strategy and continue to encourage applications for advertised roles. We have now transitioned our staff to work from home and have adopted a remote interviewing, onboarding and training process.
We are committed to only recruit for vacancies that are essential to the livelihood and continued service to our members.)