A2IM (a2im.org) is a not-for-profit trade organization serving the Independent music community as a unified voice representing a sector that, according to Billboard Magazine, comprises over 35.1% of the music industry’s market share in the United States.
The organization represents the Independents’ interests in the marketplace, in the media, on Capitol Hill, and as part of the global music community.
The Independent Music Sector has introduced, developed and supported nearly every new musical form which has impacted our society since the beginning of the recording industry. In the present day – perhaps more than ever – the independents are vital to the continued advancement of cultural diversity and innovation in music. A2IM helps independent music labels improve business by promoting access and parity through advocacy, education and connection-building with one another and affiliated businesses.
A2IM is operated by and for the benefit of its Members, headquartered in New York City, and currently employs a staff of five. A2IM is governed by an 11-member Board of Directors and a 3-member Advisory Committee.
A2IM continues to grow and expand its influence in leaps and bounds. The organization recently celebrated its 10th anniversary in 2015 and has over 350 members representing the most influential independently owned music labels as well as a wide range of other companies in the music ecosystem including some of the leading digital music services that rely on independent labels for groundbreaking content. Going forward, A2IM will continue to grow its presence in Washington DC, influencing policy that affects small and medium-sized rights holders, expand its awards programs such as its Libera Awards, develop new revenue streams and launch additional services for its members.
Scope of the Position
The successful President & CEO will provide overall leadership and management of A2IM including:
- Continuing this period of accelerated growth for A2IM and its members.
- Developing and articulating a vision that maximizes the impact and effectiveness of the organization.
- Implementing that vision through strategic planning
- Building, motivating and managing a strong staff that produces results and new leaders, including preparing other staff members to travel and speak on behalf of A2IM.
- Ensuring sound financial and programmatic management, and the overall financial well-being of the organization.
- Continuing A2IM’s strong position of engaging its membership as well as other music industry organizations to work collectively to achieve the goals of the organization.
- Fostering effective relationships with and among all stakeholders. Working effectively in support of independent music companies as well as the other organizations that advocate for the independent sector.
- Persuasively representing the collective mission and interests of A2IM’s members in the press, at industry events, with policy makers and with other non-label counterparts in the music and digital ecosystems.
- Managing compliance and risk management in the organization and in the agenda it drives for its members.
- Achieving results that increase the benefit to members, by facilitating healthy, productive, high integrity relationships with non-label counterparts.
The successful President & CEO will be a highly intelligent and charismatic leader who possesses a keen understanding of the music industry. The President & CEO must be fully committed to the mission of A2IM and demonstrate the highest possible standards of integrity, resourcefulness, determination and courage. Ideally, candidates will possess qualifications including but not limited to:
- Substantial years of experience within the music and/or entertainment industries, and/or working on behalf of creative rights holders.
- Well-rounded, cross-functional executive experience with depth in one or more of the legal, marketing, financial, entrepreneurial or artist management fields.
- Visionary understanding of the trends in technology, social media, rights and globalization that affect the independent music industry.
- A work style that is highly consultative yet decisive, that is creative yet pragmatic.
- Strong communication, mediation and facilitation skills, including consistent and careful listening skills combined with well-honed trust building skills.
- Ability to travel frequently on behalf of A2IM.
Interested candidates should submit a compelling cover letter, resume and recent compensation history.
The search committee is comprised of current and former members of the A2IM Board of Directors.
Nominations and expressions of interest in the position may be sent directly and confidentially to firstname.lastname@example.org.