[PIAS] champions and supports the best independent music in the world across our unrivalled international network. Established in 1982, we operate 16 global offices.
- To be at the very heart of the independent music ecosystem.
- To relentlessly and passionately discover, promote, market, sell and distribute the music of independent labels and artists.
- To spread the music we champion with passion, integrity and care.
- To help it encounter audiences and success.
- To constantly challenge ourselves to improve.
What you’ll be doing
[PIAS] UK is looking for an experienced lawyer to join their UK legal team at their head office in Bermondsey. The role will share responsibility with the rest of the business affairs team for all legal areas of the business to include [PIAS] Artist and Label Services division, [PIAS] own Play It Again Sam and Different labels and [PIAS]’s roster of partner labels. The successful candidate will have at least three years’ post qualification experience within the music business either in-house or in the media / entertainment department of a law firm.
- Provide an in-house business affairs service to [PIAS] own labels and external partner labels, to include negotiating and drafting artist deals and associated acquisitions / disposals.
- Provide day to day business affairs support to [PIAS] Artist and Label Services division to include drafting and negotiating sales and distribution agreements.
- Work closely with various internal departments, particularly Royalties and Finance, and our Brussels and Paris based legal teams, to ensure the effective communication of deal terms within the company.
- Work with, and seek advice from, external counsel where appropriate and as required by the business.
- Produce and maintain standard agreements and contract templates.
- Maintain up-to-date deal summaries and monitor option deadlines and rights expiries across the business.
- Advise on general legal and business affairs matters and issues typically required of an independent record and distribution company.
- All other duties as reasonably required.
Skills and experience
- An ability to work accurately under time pressure with a good eye for detail on multiple and diverse tasks.
- Proven negotiation skills.
- Proactive with a strategic and analytical approach to business affairs.
- An ability to communicate with all staff at the highest and lowest levels.
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Outlook, Word and Excel.
- Gravitas and integrity.
- Adaptable within a dynamic, changing environment.
- Able to build rapport at all levels of the business.
- An ability to be personally accountable for achieving individual and shared goals.
- Organised, efficient and effective.
- A good team player with a sense of humour.
- Passionate about music.
[PIAS] is an equal opportunities employer. We embrace diversity and are committed to a working environment where no one will be treated less favourably on grounds of their sex, race, disability, sexual orientation, religion, belief or age.