Vice President, Legal and Business Affairs
National Music Publishers’ Association
The National Music Publishers’ Association (NMPA), the leading trade organization representing the interests of music publishers in the United States, is looking to fill a Vice President (“VP”) position in its legal department based in Washington, D.C. The VP will report to NMPA’s General Counsel.
This attorney will work in both the legal and business affairs areas with NMPA’s legal and policy staff, as well as outside counsel, on matters relating to NMPA’s ongoing and future copyright-infringement litigations, industry settlements, anti-piracy efforts, policy initiatives and submissions to government and regulatory bodies, including the Copyright Office and Department of Justice, on behalf of music publishers and songwriters.
An understanding of and keen interest in copyright law and policy, especially as applied to music, as well as developments in the digital distribution of content, are essential.
The requirements for this position
- Minimum 3-4 years of experience as a lawyer; law firm or music industry legal background preferred.
- Ability to grasp quickly and accurately new and complex concepts and areas of law.
- Ability work within a team to manage complex litigations and support outside counsel to maximize results within a budget;
- Strong drafting skills; an ability to draft both settlement and licensing agreements in the music and/or digital space is a plus;
- Ability to communicate effectively with governmental bodies, digital music services and music publishers;
- Ability to think strategically and creatively about the future of the music industry, including solutions to legal, data-based and policy issues facing music publishers and songwriters;
- Excellent academic credentials;
- Member in good standing of, or ability to waive into, the District of Columbia Bar Association.
- Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
Please forward resume with cover letter to:
1900 N Street, Suite 500
Washington, DC 20036
About the NMPA
The National Music Publishers’ Association is the preeminent U.S. music publishing trade association with hundreds of members. Its mission is to protect, promote, and advance the interests of music’s creators.
The NMPA is the voice of both small and large music publishers, the leading advocate for publishers and their songwriter partners in the nation’s capital and in every area where publishers do business. The goal of NMPA is to protect its members’ property rights on the legislative, litigation, and regulatory fronts.