Netflix is the world’s leading streaming entertainment service with over 195 million paid memberships in over 190 countries enjoying TV series, documentaries and feature films across a wide variety of genres and languages. Members can watch as much as they want, anytime, anywhere, on any internet-connected screen. Members can play, pause and resume watching, all without commercials or commitments.
Netflix seeks a seasoned Music Data Analyst to join the Music Business & Legal Affairs Team as part of the Music Group based in Los Angeles. The Music Business and Legal Affairs team has four distinct verticals: Studio; Distribution (Collective Management Organizations); Marketing; and Data, Technology & Rights Management. The first three verticals encompass the global production of Netflix Originals (commissioning composers and engaging other music talent and services, negotiating licenses with production music libraries, music publishers and record labels), and the distribution of Netflix content to customers all over the world (negotiating and managing licenses with collective management organizations). This role is part of the fourth vertical, Data, Technology & Rights Management, which is integral in supporting the Music Group’s initiatives and strategies. It includes: cue sheet management and contract administration systems; all Collective Management Organization (CMO) and other music related reporting; financial and other performance metrics; publishing catalogue administration and royalty payments; systems design; workflow optimization; music licensing analysis, asset management, soundtrack administration, and much more.
We are seeking a detailed-oriented, passionate, and resourceful data expert to join our team as the Music Data Analyst. The ideal candidate will be someone who dreams in SQL, Excel, and Google Sheets and has honed their data analytics craft by solving real-world problems. This role will be the focal point between the various functions comprising the broader Music Group and all of its reporting needs. They will support and develop our external reporting obligations by administering our CMO relationships at a global scale. They will work closely with the Music Group’s data and licensing teams to advance our internal initiatives. They will join a diverse team of industry experts and will be expected to have a deep curiosity for the ins and outs of the music copyright ecosystem. The ideal candidate is someone who is looking to thrive in an environment where freedom and responsibility allows them to make an impact.
The Music Data Analyst will report to the Director of Music Data, Tech & Rights, and will be based in Los Angeles.
The Music Data Analyst will be responsible for:
- Querying and manipulating data sets using SQL and Excel/Google Sheets and visualization tools like Tableau (or similar tools).
- Cultivating relationships with CMOs and administering reporting obligations.
- Proactively partnering with internal stakeholders and delivering on reporting requirements.
- Analyzing existing reporting processes and establishing new processes with a focus on enhancements and automation.
- Working in collaborative partnerships with teams such as Legal, Finance, Creative, Marketing, Production, Product and Engineering.
- Evaluating, testing, implementing and supporting technical data solutions.
- Collaborating in the overall strategic direction of the music data roadmap as part of the larger music strategy.
- Being a trusted subject matter authority.
The desired candidate will have:
- Experience manipulating and analyzing complex data with SQL, Excel, and Google Sheets.
- Strong data analysis skills and experience working with relational database technologies.
- Hands-on experience of data management, project management, data processing, working with engineering teams, and managing a wide variety of internal and external stakeholders.
- The ability to work effectively cross-functionally, think proactively, and drive results.
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving, oral and written communication skills.
- A proven track record of breaking down complex processes and identifying key pain points.
- The ability to work well under pressure with diligence, organization, and minimal supervision.
- Flexibility amid an ever-changing and growing environment.
- Excellent judgment, curiosity, confidence, and a sense of humor.
- An eagerness to give and receive constructive feedback.
- Nice to have: practical knowledge of the music industry (e.g., Music Licensing and CMOs; Music Production).
- Plus but not required: experience using Google scripts to solve problems and analyze data.
- Plus but not required: experience in Python and/or R.