Title: Copyright & Licensing Manager
Level: Middle Management
Type of position: Full Time
Starting salary:(£35k+) DOE
How to apply: Send CV & cover letter to email@example.com
Applications due by: 11/08/2023
Start Date: TBC
We are bridging the gap between creators and music. Known globally for our ‘free to use music’ model, our label releases have been used in over 185 million videos on YouTube, amassing over 550 billion views. Our music has been used by the likes of Faze Banks, W2S, ChrisMD, Jeffree Star, Chloe Ting, Kim Kardashian and many more. By allowing content creators to use our artist’s music without the risk of a copyright claim, we are able to grow artist careers through the massive exposure of user generated content. With our model, the exposure it brings, and our music marketing strategies, we have been able to build hundreds of artist careers through billions of streams on streaming platforms.
The Copyright & Licensing Manager will be responsible for ensuring that NCS’s legal and commercial rights are managed effectively, in order to maximise the value of the company’s music and provide better security to creators that use the music.
Working closely with the Head of Music, and any external legal counsel, the Copyright & Licensing Manager will be able to draft, negotiate and issue licences for NCS new releases and catalogue improvement. They will also lead communication on any catalogue disputes and licensing enquiries.
- The Copyright & Licensing Manager will be independently handling legal & rights communication, drafting (multi-)single music contracts, and negotiating terms within the scope of precedents
- Managing and resolving catalogue disputes, working with the Head of Music and external legal counsel to ensure they are addressed promptly and effectively
- Reviewing the rights we have in our existing catalogue and proactively flagging, updating and improving rights as needed
- Liaise with our external legal teams on any issues of higher volume or complexity
- Managing and maintaining a comprehensive dataset of legal information in our task management and rights systems, including disputes, terms and other contract information
- Provide guidance and support to our business and creative teams on rights and contractual matters.
- Law degree or experienced paralegal/contracts manager, preferably at a music publisher or record label
- Excellent negotiation and communication skills, with the ability to effectively resolve disputes and manage claims.
- A strong understanding of music & copyright law, the music industry and recording & publishing agreements
- Being able to draft new language, as well as making appropriate use of precedents
- Experience utilizing systems to manage and maintain catalogue metadata and agreements.
- Ability to work independently and handle multiple tasks concurrently.
- Ability to establish and maintain positive relationships with a range of stakeholders, including artists, songwriters, lawyers, and external partners.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Working in London-based office ‘Bankstock’ (w/ UKF, Drum&BassArena, SubSoul + more) and ‘The Halley’ in Haggerston, including studio access.
- Private healthcare cover including dental and optical (after probation period).
- Apple One Subscription including Fitness+, TV+ etc.
- Cycle To Work scheme
- Pension scheme
- Hybrid working (Tue, Wed & Thur in office)
As an organization we celebrate and support our team members from all backgrounds and are working to build an adaptable culture of mutual allyship, and an environment where everyone is comfortable being themselves 100% of the time. We actively encourage applications from people of every race, gender, religion, age, disability and the LGBTQIA+ community.
NCS is open and happy to make any reasonable adjustments as required throughout the interview process to increase accessibility.
Company Details: NoCopyrightSounds Limited – Companies House Number: 9090596
- Initial Call (5-15min)
- 1st Interview (Technical)
- 2nd Interview (Cultural)
- Final Stage (Offer/Decision)