The National Music Publishers’ Association (NMPA), the leading trade organization representing the interests of music publishers in the United States, is looking to fill a Vice President/Senior Counsel position in Washington, D.C. The Vice President /Senior Counsel will report to NMPA’s General Counsel.
As Vice President/Senior Counsel, this attorney will help manage NMPA’s ongoing and future copyright-infringement litigations, negotiate licenses and settlements with digital companies, oversee NMPA’s anti-piracy program, draft policy initiatives and submissions to government and regulatory bodies, including the Copyright Office and Department of Justice, and be involved in Copyright Royalty Board rate setting proceedings on behalf of music publishers and songwriters, as well as support the overall litigation, legislative and policy initiatives of the NMPA. An understanding of and keen interest in copyright law and policy, especially as applied to music, as well as developments in the digital distribution of content, are essential.
The requirements for this position are:
- Minimum 6+ years of experience as a lawyer, including intellectual property experience; law firm or music industry legal background strongly preferred;
- Expertise in copyright law, especially as it applies to music and new media;
- Ability to effectively manage complex litigations and supervise outside counsel to maximize results within a budget;
- Strong negotiation and drafting skills, including a demonstrated ability to negotiate and draft both settlement and licensing agreements in the music and/or digital space;
- Ability to communicate effectively with governmental bodies, digital music services and music publishers;
- Ability to think strategically and creatively about the future of the music industry, including solutions to legal, data-based and policy issues facing music publishers and songwriters;
- Ability to work independently but know when to seek advice;
- Excellent academic credentials;
- Member in good standing of, or ability to waive into, the District of Columbia Bar Association.
Salary commensurate with experience.
Please forward resume with cover letter to:
Briana Berkley, NMPA, 975 F Street, Suite 375, Washington, DC 20004
About the NMPA:
The National Music Publishers’ Association is the largest U.S. music publishing trade association with hundreds of members. Its mission is to protect, promote, and advance the interests of music’s creators. The NMPA is the voice of both small and large music publishers, the leading advocate for publishers and their songwriter partners in the nation’s capital and in every area where publishers do business. The goal of NMPA is to protect its members’ property rights on the legislative, litigation, and regulatory fronts.