The Music Publishers Association is seeking a General Manager to be a tenacious voice for its members on music publishing within the UK, engaging members, industry stakeholders and the general public in the MPA’s work on policy, professional development, education and outreach and membership activities.
The General Manager will fulfil the vision of the Chief Executive and Board by implementing the MPA’s operational and strategic plan and inspiring, motivating and leading a small and dynamic team.
The successful candidate be an experienced manager, with a love for music publishing and experience of working in the industry. They will have highly sophisticated prioritisation skills, overseeing the effective delivery of a multitude of member meetings, projects and long-standing initiatives as well as proactively seeking out new opportunities for the organisation.
Responsibilities will include:
- Devising, developing and delivering the MPA strategic plan, in partnership with the CEO and MPA Board, communicating the vision of the organisation clearly to staff, members and external stakeholders
- Responsibility for Board, Committee & Member Meetings; working with the team to construct interesting, relevant agendas and preparing papers in liaison with Chairs
- Overseeing the planning and implementation of the annual programme of events; in particular leading on the development of all MPA training and professional development
- Working with the DOO on Financials; including setting the MPA’s annual budget, reviewing monthly management accounts and staff salaries and co-ordinating membership subscriptions
- Generating revenue and sponsorship opportunities; overseeing the compilation of the annual Sponsorship Brochure, and hitting targets set in conjunction with the CEO and MPA team
- Representing the MPA and enhancing the reputation of the organisation; promoting the business and building strong and constructive relationship with other industry stakeholders including PRS for Music, UK Music, the British Copyright Council and outreach organisations
- Presenting at MPA Events and Public Speaking Engagements; moderating panels and training courses, delivering speeches and presentations to membership and external audiences
- Engaging the membership in the work of the MPA and key issues; working with the team to ensure that the interests of MPA members are promoted to government, policy makers and opinion makers anticipating new developments which may impact businesses
- Developing and maintaining relationships with current and potential members; responding to their needs by implementing new initiatives and maximising value for money for membership
The successful candidate will be a strong, focussed leader with significant experience managing teams.
They must have exceptional interpersonal skills and the ability to deal with individuals from all levels of the music industry, forging strong relationships and demonstrating excellent diplomatic skills to bring together diverse views to obtain consensus.
They will have a capacity to thrive under competing demands on time and to enjoy prioritising a demanding workload with a meticulous attention, able to set and action short, medium and long term company strategies.
The successful candidate will be joining a young, lively team at an exceptionally exciting moment in the history of music publishing and this role sits at the centre of it all.
To apply please send your CV together with a covering letter to Lorna Greenwood – [email protected].
Within the cover letter please answer the following:
- What challenges do you think are facing the music publishing industry?
- Why do you think you would be suitable for the General Manager position?
- What experience do you have which will enable you to meet the requirements of the role?
- To the extent that you are lacking in any relevant experience what are those areas and how will you address them?
- What are you salary expectations?
Please note you must have the right to work in the UK. We are unable to consider applicants who do not have the right to work in the UK.