General Manager Vacancy – Music Managers Forum
Recruiter: Music Managers Forum
Location: London with UK and some international travel required
Salary: £ Dependent on experience
Position Type: Full-time
Posted: 15th July 2021
Closes: 5th August – first round interviews on 12th/13th August 2021
Job Function: General Manager– Music Managers Forum
Industry: Music, Management, Membership, Trade Association, Politico, Creative Industries
Experience: 5 – 10 years in similar or relevant role
The Music Managers Forum is the world’s largest professional body for Music Managers with over 1200 members in the UK with global businesses. We educate, innovate and advocate on behalf of our diverse range of members. Our focus is to campaign for a fairer, more transparent music industry that operates in the interest of all music makers and their fans.
We are seeking a General Manager who will help us continue to grow our membership, manage and guide our team, engage with policy and research activities, as well as supporting MMF special projects, campaigns and events. The GM will oversee the effective delivery of a number of projects and long-standing initiatives, as well as proactively seeking out new opportunities for the organisation.
The role reports to the Chief Executive and will include constant engagement with members, industry and wider stakeholders, motivating and overseeing a small, but dynamic team to provide the MMF’s membership with the best possible service.
The MMF team is small and punches above our weight in the music industry. We are the founders of effective campaigns such as the #LetTheMusicMove, FanFair Campaign Against Secondary Ticketing and Dissecting the Digital Dollar, as well as initiatives such as our music manager development programme Accelerator, anti-racist event series MMF Unite and the Music Managers Guide to Mental Health. The successful candidate will have an awareness of the central importance of the role of the music manager in developing music makers’ careers and an understanding of the support a professional organisation can bring to enterprising individuals. They will have 5-10 years experience in working in a similar role, be good at working on a multitude of projects and calm under pressure dealing with a demanding workload. They will also demonstrate the ability to engage with membership and other stakeholders and build positive relationships.
Music industry experience is desirable though not necessary. The MMF recognises the positive value of diversity, promotes equality and challenges discrimination. We welcome and encourage job applications from people of all backgrounds.
To see our current team and learn a bit more about what we do visit www.themmf.net. If you have any questions or would like to discuss the role in further detail please email email@example.com
Application Process: To apply please send your CV together with a covering letter explaining your motivation and how your current experience meets the role description to firstname.lastname@example.org by email.
Core competencies will include:
- Highly motivated, driven and confident taking initiative
- Strong communication and listening skills
- Team player with confident inclusive leadership skills. The ability to manage a team, drive performance and collaboration, while being sensitive to people’s varying needs and abilities
- Enthusiasm and aptitude for engaging with, and understanding new conceptual ideas and issues, as well as an ability to participate in delivering creative, swift responses to industry challenges.
- Highly organised and focused, with good planning skills, as well as the ability to work well under pressure.
Responsibilities will include:
Operations and Team Management:
- Increase the MMF’s effectiveness by recruiting, coaching and managing staff of approximately eight people (direct line-management for four team members); communicating the organisations’ strategy and objectives; assigning accountabilities; planning, monitoring, and appraising performance; cultivating a positive work environment where the team feels able to contribute information and opinions; providing educational opportunities.
- Work with the Chief Executive and Chief Financial Officer on financials, ensuring expenses are regularly submitted, invoices issued and chased, reviewing income sources and expenditure against budget.
- Develop and maintain relationships with current (and potential) board and members; implementing new initiatives and maximising value for money for membership.
Strategic Planning and Use of Resources:
- Implement a strategic plan by understanding external opportunities; presenting assumptions; recommending objectives.
- Identify new opportunities for the organisation and lead the development of new special projects (such as the Accelerator Programme for Music Managers, Mental Health Guide for Music Managers, How Did You Manage That Podcast).
- Supporting team projects and activities including specific projects and events including the Artist & Manager Awards, Virtual and In-Person Manager Meetups, Managing Expectations
- Collaborating with Industry Relations and Events Manager on Associate relations and deliverables.
Policy, Campaigning and Research:
- Support and deputise for the Chief Executive on policy, campaigning and research related activities including involvement in trade body policy meetings (LIVE, UK Music and Council of Music Makers) and public affairs activities.
- Contribute to and lead MMF research projects relating both to internal/manager specific issues e.g. MMF Code of Practice review, Mental Health Guide etc. as well as wider industry activities e.g. Dissecting the Digital Dollar series.
Industry Liaison & Communications:
- Build the reputation of the MMF by collaborating with businesses, community organisations, enforcing ethical business practices.
- Represent the MMF at events with other industry stakeholders and within committees of our umbrella organisation UK Music
- Promote the work of the MMF at public speaking engagements with universities and conferences alongside other team members.
- Work with the Chief Exec and Industry Relations Manager to increase the MMF’s income through associate programmes and sponsorship, contribute to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
- Coordinate internal and external communications between staff members, memberships, board level, trade and national press.
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; benchmarking state-of-the-art practices; and participating in professional societies and committees.