You think having several different licenses (synch, master, mechanical, etc.) for the same work makes complete sense and are not phased by the complexity of music copyright ownership. In addition, you love working in an environment where freedom and responsibility is a tenet and passion, innovation and curiosity are mandates.
You seek an environment that places thoughtful efficiency over process yet you know how to work with organizations or institutions who may not hold the same beliefs. Your innate ability to maintain organization fuels your ability to motivate others to follow your lead to help them reach their goals.
This role is based in Netflix’s Beverly Hills and reports to the Head of the Music Group, part of the Business & Legal Affairs team at Netflix.
– Coordinating with the creative and Business & Legal Affairs execs in connection with Netflix’s original programming, as well as outside parties including copublishers, copyright owners, composers, their managers and/or attorneys, regarding clearance, ownership, and financial procedures and license fees.
– Researching music ownership and seeking/obtaining quotes from labels and publishers.
– Managing, preparing, negotiating and reviewing licenses (master and sync, etc.).
– Building and maintaining strong relationships with third-party companies, labels, artists, studios, publishers, producers, various guilds and music/performance associations (e.g., SAG-AFTRA, AFM).
– Meeting with current and new music production houses, libraries, songwriters & producers and make recommendations for future opportunities.
– Managing Netflix music clearances needs and rights management, including tracking territory, media and terms and maintaining all cue sheets.
– Providing creative input for use of alternate songs when clearances are not available for the original request.
– Following industry trends for new business/content opportunities
– Participating in other projects specific to Netflix’s music needs
The successful candidate will have a BA/BS degree and 5-10 years of direct music experience at a major production, film/television studio, television network, agency, publisher, label, or law firm in the music department.