Mushroom Music is the most successful independent music publisher in Australasia. Mushroom was established in 1972 by Michael Gudinski (AO) and is still lead by Michael and Managing Director Ian James.
Our repertoire is focused on Australian and New Zealand writers and currently includes Vance Joy, Julia Jacklin, Nick Murphy (fka Chet Faker), D.D Dumbo, Gordi, Violent Soho, The Preatures, Unknown Mortal Orchestra, The Temper Trap, Birds of Tokyo, Bliss n Eso, Jess Kent, The Rubens.
About the Role
This role is an opportunity for you to work with and add to one of Australia’s best rosters of domestic songwriters.
Reporting to the Head of A&R, you will be responsible for sourcing and co-ordinating all co-writing and collaborative opportunities, song pitching and assisting the domestic A&R team.
This role requires the ability to work independently, and demands strong creative and administrative skills.
As part of this role you will:
- Create co-writing opportunities for our songwriters
- Pitch songs to record labels, managers and other publishers to be recorded by their artists
- Form relationships with record label A&Rs, managers, other publishers and artists to bring about co-writing and pitching opportunities
- Proactively use these same relationships to find out who is currently in their writing phase or approaching their writing phase
- Advise songwriters on how to split copyrights in a co-writing situation
- Keep and update Excel spreadsheets with detailed co-writing and pitching information and history
- Source audio and copyright information for completed songs
- Liaise with internal A&R staff to help facilitate writing opportunities for our domestic songwriters abroad or international songwriters when they are in the country
- Build spreadsheets and calendars for any fixed period writing trips
- Create and maintain file storage of songs for pitching
- Provide administration with information required to register new songs / copyrights
- Monthly reporting to Head of A&R
- Attend live shows where relevant in Sydney and meetings at our head office in Melbourne
- Advise the A&R team of prospective new signings
- Provide the Sync department with New Release summaries
- Provide general support for the internal A&R team
- You are passionate about Australian music and songwriting.
- You work well in a team and can effectively communicate despite other team members being in another state.
- You can recognise a great song and match artists with songs that suit them.
- You are meticulous in your organisation, record keeping and time management.
- You are positive and assertive in your dealings with other music industry personnel.
You will have:
- Experience working within the Australian music industry in a creative role, preferably at music publishers or record labels
- Existing relationships with other members of the music industry such as labels, publishers, booking agents, managers and artists
- Demonstrated ability to identify what constitutes a good song, not simply a good recording
- Highly proactive and capable of a high level of productivity without close supervision
Salary commensurate with experience.