mtheory is seeking a self-motivated, communicative, dedicated, and highly organized individual to join the Finance team, based in New York.
This role will support and directly report to the Controller, as well as mtheory senior management. Successful employees in this role must have the ability to manage many tasks and prioritize/organize the most important items while maintaining excellent communication skills to convey updates and potential challenges with their manager.
Candidates should have experience in some of these areas of accounting and a willingness to learn about areas they don’t have explicit experience with. These include royalties, publishing, record labels, artist management, and special projects. Candidates must have the ability to learn quickly, build meaningful relationships, and take initiative.
Assist Controller with financial statement reporting responsibilities to include:
- Monthly & quarterly closes
- Financial statement preparation and analyses
- Income recognition and analysis
- General ledger maintenance
- Bank and account reconciliations
- Ad hoc reconciliations and analysis
- Collaboration with data analyst to ensure proper recording of sales data
- Marketing account analysis and budget tracking
- Assist with accounts payable, accounts receivable, income tracking.
- Work with tax professionals to ensure proper and timely tax filings and reporting.
- Prepare profit participation accounting statements and reporting for various artists and companies.
- Expense management and analysis to include Concur and American Express.
- Assist in implementing IT initiatives, including a royalty system, and other IT products that create efficiency
- Assist with the development and implementation of new procedures and processes to enhance the productivity and efficiency of the company and clients – Best Practices.
- Prepare internal financial reports and supportive schedules
- Strong leadership and organizational skills.
- Strong accounting skills and knowledge of GAAP
- Take ownership of financial goals and operational needs
- Ability to grow with a growing organization
- Excellent oral and written communication skills needed
- Detail oriented and ability to work under pressure/tight deadlines.
- Excellent Excel skills required
- Knowledge of Mac and Quickbooks a plus
- Bachelor Degree in Accounting/Finance.
- Knowledge of GAAP and SEC reporting requirements required.
- Music industry or publishing experience a plus
- CPA a plus, and/or 2+ years of experience with a Big 4 CPA firm in auditing.
Founded in 2010, mtheory is an artist development, marketing, strategy and operations infrastructure designed for artist managers. As the music industry continues its rapid evolution, managers have been required to play a much more active role in the artist development process. To address this challenge, mtheory provides managers with the additional manpower and specialized knowledge required to be successful. Our services include: strategic marketing, DSP relations, product management, tour marketing and production expertise, business affairs, digital and social marketing, CRM and analytics. In addition, we have distribution, production, and financing capabilities that enable artists and managers to operate in a truly independent environment.
mtheory currently works with approximately 25 artist managers, representing over 100 artists across a diverse range of genres. Our management clients represent leading artists such as Flume, Galantis, Twenty Øne Pilots, NF, A$AP Rocky, Masego, Zac Brown Band, Tyler Childers and many others.
There is power in diversity of, but not limited to, race, color, ethnicity, nationality, religion, socioeconomic status, education, marital status, language, age, gender, gender expressions, gender identity, sexual orientation, mental and physical ability, and learning styles. Our team and clients are stronger when we represent all differences & we are committed to having an inclusive & open workspace.
Potential candidates should submit a resumé that summarizes employment and education history, as well as references.