Merlin provides independents the means to own their future. Merlin is a member led, music focused organisation providing digital music licensing for independents across the globe.
Members benefit from Merlin’s premium deals, but work directly with key digital partners. Our membership consists of independent labels, distributors, and other rights-holders, representing tens of thousands of labels and hundreds of thousands of artists from every country in the world.
Merlin works collaboratively with our digital partners, delivers value back to those digital partners, and seeks to drive other incremental benefits to our members.
Merlin’s approach has enabled our membership to grow to represent 15% of the global market share. Merlin’s membership includes independents such as Altafonte, Amuse, Armada Music, AudioSalad, AVL Group (including CD Baby, DashGo and FUGA), Beggars Group, Cinq Music Group, Dim Mak, DistroKid, Domino, Epitaph Records, Foundation Media, Freeme Digital, and IDOL.
Others include Kontor New Media, Mad Decent, MNRK Music Group, Monstercat, Mushroom Music, Ninja Tune, ONErpm, [PIAS], Pony Canyon, Redeye, Secret City, Secretly, Symphonic Distribution, Sub Pop, Vydia, and hundreds more.
Merlin has deals with nearly 40 digital services, including partners like Adaptr, Apple, AWA, Boomplay, Deezer, FLO, JioSaavn, JOOX, KKBox, Meta, NetEase, Pandora, Peloton, Snap, SoundCloud, Spotify, Tencent, TikTok, TREBEL, Twitch, YouTube Music, and many other global, regional and strategic partners, as well as being in conversations with dozens more.
Merlin has resources in London, New York, Thailand, and Tokyo.
Equal Opportunity and Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Merlin is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, age, or any other status protected by law. Further, the company strives to create a diverse, welcoming, equitable and inclusive environment for all applicants, employees, member companies and partners.
Merlin’s Business & Legal Affairs team requires an experienced paralegal to join the department to take responsibility for the administration of incoming copyright and other claims, to assist on member communications and notices, and in contract management and administration.
The successful candidate will also be responsible for co-ordinating and tracking the department’s deal-making process, which will involve working closely with all of the Merlin departments. The ideal candidate will be experienced in dealing with legal documents and correspondence, and working within the music industry.
- Responsible for administration of copyright infringement and other claims. Liaison with digital music services and Merlin’s member companies following a standardised resolution process
- Responsible for co-ordinating production and delivery of monthly and other update notices to members
- Maintenance of a contracts database and “dates diary” to track pending contractual dates.
- Assisting with departmental administration and management (e.g. maintaining record of active agreements, potential agreements and deal targets, managing communications to members).
- Assisiting with membership issues, for example dealing with member name changes and novation of membership agreements.
- Coordinating and working with Merlin’s other departments to maintain member records, preparation of member communications and distribution lists.
- Managing and tracking deal and information workflow across Merlin’s various departments (Business & Legal Affairs, Finance, Technology & Business Solutions,
- Member Relations, and Commercial Partnerships).
The successful candidate will be detail-oriented with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and to communicate confidently with internal teams, digital music services, and member companies.
- Well organised and detailed in approach
- Experienced in a legal environment, preferably within the music industry
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Energetic, motivated and proven self-starter
- Team player
- Willing to work on projects across a broad spectrum of complexity
- Enjoy working in a fast-paced environment, prioritising and managing multiple projects
- Strong attention to detail
- Demonstrable interest in the music industry and digital sectors
- Competency in Excel and Word
Please note that we have retained the services of Handle Recruitment to conduct this search, and any direct applications will be forwarded to them for their consideration on our behalf.