Merlin provides independents the means to own their future. Merlin is a member led, music focused organization providing digital licensing for the leading independents across the globe.
Members benefit from Merlin’s premium deals, but work directly with key digital partners. Our membership consists of independent labels, distributors, and other rights-holders, representing tens of thousands of labels and hundreds of thousands of artists from every country in the world. Merlin delivers incremental benefits to our members, works collaboratively with our digital partners, and delivers value back to digital music services.
Merlin’s approach has enabled our membership to grow to represent 15% of the global market share. Merlin’s membership includes independents such as Amuse, Armada Music, AVL Group (including CD Baby, DashGo and FUGA), AWAL, Beggars Group, Cinq Music Group, Dim Mak, DistroKid, Domino, Entertainment One, Epitaph Records, Foundation Media, Kontor New Media, Mad Decent, Monstercat, Mushroom Music, Ninja Tune, [PIAS], Pony Canyon, Secret City, Secretly, Symphonic Distribution, Sub Pop, Ultra Records, Vydia, and hundreds more.
Merlin now has deals with over 30 digital services, including Alibaba, AWA, Boomplay, Deezer, Facebook/Instagram, JioSaavn, KKBox, NetEase, Pandora, Snap, SoundCloud, Spotify, Tencent, TikTok, Triller, Yandex, and YouTube Music, and is in conversations with dozens more.
Merlin has offices in New York, London, and Tokyo.
The Member Relations & Commercial Partnerships Manager is an experienced and enthusiastic manager-level digital music executive who supports and empowers our members and maximizes opportunities with our digital partners.
The role will involve working directly with leading independents and the industry’s most significant and emerging digital partners. In addition, the person fulfilling this role will work closely with our collaborative global team in a fast paced, energetic and fun atmosphere.
This is an excellent opportunity for the right candidate to work with a broad cross-section of the global digital, independent recorded music industry, as Merlin continues to experience remarkable growth at the forefront of where independent music leaders and the digital market merge.
Position Status, Location and Reporting
This is a full-time position based in New York City and reports to the department heads of our Member Relations and Commercial Partnerships teams.
- Manage day to day communications and support for existing Merlin member companies
- Manage communications with Merlin’s digital music service partners
- Flexibility to focus on specific territories, genres, members or partners as assigned by senior management from time to time
- Manage integrations and establish marketing opportunities with new digital music partners
- Create support documentation, training guides, presentations and best practice & procedures guides that support members and DSP partners
- Lead communications and provide support to applicant companies and new members
- Demonstrate good judgement on issues requiring escalation and communicate effectively with Merlin’s global teams
- Investigate, troubleshoot, and solve issues for members
- Actively contribute toward successful completion of other Global Member Relations & Commercial Partnership team member and partner facing Merlin initiatives
- Take advantage of opportunities to stretch and grow as business demands evolve
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
The successful candidate will be a detail-oriented proven self-starter with a demonstrated ability to successfully manage multiple projects simultaneously and to communicate confidently with digital partners, record labels and distributors.
- Minimum of 3-4 years of experience working at music labels, distributors or artist services companies
- Strong understanding of the digital music industry, music distribution and the mechanics of the digital music supply chain
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability to work with clients of all personalities
- Active listening skills to accurately respond to inquiries and requests
- Ability to establish the highest degree of credibility and rapport with owners and executives at indie labels and with peers at DSPs
- Proficiency with computer applications including Excel (including using Pivot Tables), PowerPoint, Google Forms, task management programs and contact management systems
- Detail oriented and well organized
- Comfortable prioritizing multiple issues/tasks
- Ability to work under pressure
- Bilingual (English and Spanish) preferred
- Established network of contacts throughout indie labels and DSPs
- Experience working with labels and other partners involved in diverse music genres, including Rap, Latin Music and music from various global regions
- Industry relationships and understanding of the independent label sector
A competitive salary, incentive and benefits package will be offered, commensurate with the role and the relevant experience of the final hire.
Equal Opportunity and Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Merlin is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, age, or any other status protected by law. Further, the company strives to create a diverse, welcoming, equitable and inclusive environment for all applicants, employees, member companies and partners.
Please apply at: https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/2328454039/?capColoOverride=true
The job description above is intended to set forth the general nature of the work that will be expected of the person who takes on this role. The job description is not, however, meant to be construed as an exhaustive list of all the duties and responsibilities required for this role. From time to time, all colleagues may be required to perform duties outside their normal responsibilities as needed, and the priorities within each role evolve over time based on the needs of the business.