Title: VP, Business & Legal Affairs / General Counsel
Department: Record Label
Reports to: General Manager
Please submit resumes to [email protected]
Company and Position Summary
Mass Appeal is an entertainment company dedicated to telling stories from the perspective of those who shape and shift culture. Since 1996, we have documented the emerging movements that influence popular ideas. Today, Mass Appeal is the elevated voice of Hip Hop and its ever-expanding sphere of influence. Integrated offerings in content, music and creative services stoke Mass Appeal’s ability to maximize the impact of our output. Our diverse school of thought separates us from friends and foes alike.
Reporting to the General Manager, the VP, Business & Legal Affairs/ General Counsel is responsible for drafting and negotiating artist recording contracts, label partner agreements, marketing agreements, and other related business matters. The position will also provide legal counsel and business advise to other departments at Mass Appeal Media.
- Structure, negotiate, draft, and review a variety of complex recorded music deals including recording agreements, label deals, profit-split deals, soundtrack agreements, exclusive producer/mixer agreements, distribution agreements and various types of licenses. Draft related approval memos and contract summaries.
- Review artwork, audiovisual materials, label copy, marketing, and promotional materials to determine potential legal issues and assess the possible risks associated with their distribution; supervise clearance process
- Research and advise A&R, marketing, creative services, sales, promotion, royalties, finance, international and other departments regarding contractual obligations and restrictions.
- Work with General Manager regarding contractual budgets, monitoring recording costs and approving payments.
- Review royalty statements to ensure accuracy
- Identify and analyze potential risks related to the label’s distribution of content and other business activities.
- Investigate, analyze, and respond to a variety of claims, including copyright, audit, breach of contract, publicity and trademark, and work with the partner legal department to develop litigation strategies.
To perform this job to the standards of Mass Appeal, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty successfully. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions of the job.
J.D from an accredited university and authorization to practice law in New York State and/or California
Member of New York/California Bar Association (MUST be in good standing)
- Minimum of 7+ years of legal experience, including intellectual property experience and three years of transactional work in the recorded music industry
- Experience from prominent record label, law firm, in house legal department preferred
- Demonstrated drafting and negotiation skills
- Must be a self-starter and able to begin workflow each day with limited supervision
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to effectively interact with a range of personalities and negotiating styles and establish effective relationships externally and internally at all organizational levels
- Strongly self-motivated with demonstrated ability to work independently as well as part of a close-knit team
- Ability to multi-task and balance competing priorities
- Candidates in Los Angeles or New York preferred
Working hours will vary according to the needs of the department, but the regular schedule of the position follows Mass Appeal’s operating hours of 9:30am-6:30pm.