Mass Appeal is an entertainment company dedicated to telling stories from the perspective of those who shape and shift culture. Since 1996, we have documented the emerging movements that influence popular ideas. Today, Mass Appeal is the elevated voice of Hip Hop and its ever-expanding sphere of influence. Integrated offerings in content, music and creative services stoke Mass Appeal’s ability to maximize the impact of our output. Our diverse school of thought separates us from friends and foes alike.
The VP, A&R for Mass Appeal Records is primarily responsible for developing existing talent on the label, securing songs for creative projects, as well as seeking new talent to add to the roster. They will be an expert in specific genres and have a deep understanding of and relationships with those genres’ key players and marketplace trends. They will have forward-thinking ideas on how to select and guide artists to success. This position will be LA-based.
- Source, sign and develop new talent to the label
- Secure new songs for existing talent on the label.
- Oversee the recording, production, mastering, sequencing of artist projects.
- Provide comprehensive feedback on new music to the label team
- Review and recommend submitted/solicited demos as well as online material.
- Act as label liaison with artists once they are signed to the label.
- Provide creative input and direction on artist’s material
- Develop and maintain relationships with industry insiders (managers, agents, attorneys, promoters, radio programmers, retail trade and consumer press, tastemakers, etc.).
- Find suitable producers, writers/co-writers, sound engineers and recording studios.
- Coordinate pre-production and production, mixing and mastering.
- Plan and monitor recording budgets for assigned projects.
- Keep projects within agreed budget and schedule/timeline.
- Evaluate recording and mixing progress for label’s artists.
- Work with other Mass Appeal leadership and other divisions to lead execution of and source talent for multi-platform projects such as brand partnerships, soundtracks and more.
- Help to manage and grow the Mass Appeal India with UMG and MA India’s local team; help to evaluate other international expansion opportunities
- Attend live showcases/concerts (once the world reopens).
- Maintain files/records on all shows attended.
- Responsible for uploading all final audio files onto the label’s shared drive.
- Work closely with other label departments/employees including Marketing, Digital, Publicity, Promotion and Commerce to ensure recorded material is commercially successful.
To perform this job to the standards of Mass Appeal, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty successfully. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions of the job.
- Minimum 8 years music industry experience, with a demonstrated track record of finding new songs for existing talent and finding emerging artists that fit in with the label’s musical offerings/musical direction.
- Experience with the different steps in the recording, production, mastering, sequencing and release of a record required.
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills and time management skills; ability to influence and negotiate.
- Must have strong knowledge of music and fully understanding of the latest trend and have a grasp of what’s to come
- A proactive self-starter with strong problem solving and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task, be flexible and be a team player.
- Ability to create and maintain strong relationships with artists, managers, attorneys, etc.
- Ability to travel and attend showcases as required.
- Must understand the artist’s lifestyle.
- Excellent computer skills, MS Office and an intimate knowledge of the internet
- Bachelor’s degree preferred