Mass Appeal is an entertainment company dedicated to telling stories from the perspective of those who shape and shift culture. Since 1996, we have documented the emerging movements that influence popular ideas. Today, Mass Appeal is the elevated voice of Hip Hop and its ever-expanding sphere of influence. Integrated offerings in content, music and creative services stoke Mass Appeal’s ability to maximize the impact of our output. Our diverse school of thought separates us from friends and foes alike.
The General Manager for Mass Appeal Records is primarily responsible for successfully managing all aspects of the label including operations, sales, projections, legal, international plans and more. The ideal candidate will be extremely passionate about music, motivated, organized, a natural leader and an entrepreneurial individual who has extensive knowledge of the music industry. This position is based in LA.
We are seeking an experienced and entrepreneurial music executive to lead the creative, strategy and management of Mass Appeal’s music division. This role will collaborate closely with our CEO and Nas. Responsibilities include:
- Oversee strategic direction and day-to-day operations of Mass Appeal Records
- Oversee our activities in publishing, licensing and original music
- Create sales projections and oversee budgets across A&R, marketing, promotion, production, radio and ancillary business
- Focus on growth and general label revenue streams and all ancillary commercial opportunities
- Work in a creative capacity with roster artists & management from origination to delivery & release; work with A&R and broader Mass Appeal team to identify and sign new talent
- Work with counsel and finance team to manage legal and accounting
- Coordinate with A&R and other Mass Appeal divisions for multi-platform projects including brand partnerships, live events and more
- Lead Mass Appeal’s distribution relationship with distributor and other existing partners (e.g. international distribution)
- Build, maintain and develop industry relationships with new and existing partners/contacts
- Oversee the Mass Appeal India JV in partnership with UMG and MA India’s local team; explore additional international expansion opportunities
To perform this job to the standards of Mass Appeal, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty successfully. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions of the job.
College Degree in a related field; one year of relevant career experience may be substituted for each year of college
- At least three (5) years of prior label experience as a General Manager, or equivalent relevant experience
- At least 8 years of music industry experience
- Results driven and entrepreneurial
- Prior label operations or artist relations background; prior experience as an artist manager or a day to day manager preferred
- Strong experience with Excel—understanding of metadata and publishing
- Strong client relation, customer service and communication skills, both written and verbal, including a strong attention to detail
This position will primarily be in an office setting; however, employees may need to attend out of state meetings, artist events, releases, festivals or other special events out of the office on an occasional basis.
Working hours will vary according to the needs of the department, but the regular schedule of the position follows Mass Appeal’s operating hours of 9:30am-6:30pm.
Supervision: Label team