MAMA Festivals is one of the UK’s leading festival businesses. Its core strategy focuses on the development and delivery of consumer-built entertainment concepts that create unique platforms for all types of emerging artistic talent.
The head of creative production works alongside managers and consultants in programming, production, licensing, event management and site logistics and manages a team of specialists in design and technical production to deliver creative aspects of Lovebox, Citadel and Wilderness Festivals.
Within the context of these festivals, creative production is defined as design and delivery of ‘creative’ venues (stages, restaurants and bars) as well as décor and signage for all in-house stages and public areas and decorative site lighting. At Lovebox and Citadel the term ‘creative venues’ encompasses around 10 venues plus around 15 bars. At Wilderness it covers all venues except the Main Stage and those delivered by external agencies (around 50 venues in total).
Each production plan will involve the following aspects, where applicable:
- Specifications for structures, PA, backline, staging, lighting, AV, special effects, rigging, décor elements, fencing, seating, scaffolding and all other physical production elements
- Specification for personnel requirements
- Specification for build requirements including plant, trakway etc.
- Operational plans for management of venue including capacity calculations, security and stewarding requirements, fencing requirements, radio requirement etc.
- H+S documentation for all elements and suppliers
- Production schedule
- Detailed plans and elevations of structures and arenas
- Décor design drawings
The role involves providing support and guidance to our partners in order to develop successful production plans from all perspectives, most crucially aesthetic integrity, health & safety and cost. This includes venues produced by external agencies, bars, restaurants, art works and sponsor activations.
- To implement plans for creative production aspects of MAMA Festivals (Lovebox, Citadel & Wilderness), in collaboration with other key staff and in line with allocated budgets and to company standards.
- To manage any budget changes for creative production aspects of MAMA Festivals (Lovebox, Citadel & Wilderness).
- To manage progression of creative production aspects of MAMA Festivals (Lovebox, Citadel & Wilderness) venues from concept through to delivery, including any changes of brief and/or budget.
- To specify and procure infrastructure, services and staff required for delivery and management of the creative production at these festivals.
- To manage the upkeep of budgets for the creative production of these events including reconciliation of budget post event
- To ensure delivered production complies with each festival’s licensing requirements and other relevant legislation, regulations and guidance.
- To produce and distribute documentation (both in terms of marketing the events and to cover H&S / licensing requirements) in support of the creative production.
- To manage staff for the delivery of creative production.
- To assist in producing activations for sponsorship partners, where relevant.
- To provide advice, assistance and guidance, where necessary, to other departments or event partners.
- To implement plans for storage, procurement and logistics of creative production materials and equipment.
- To organise and attend planning, debrief and other meetings required for the planning and delivery of the festivals.
- To ensure schedules; infrastructure, feeding & accreditation requirements; ops plans; H+S documentation and any other required information relating to the department’s activities is delivered to the relevant POC by the given deadline.
- Recruit staff for on-site roles to support the department’s activities as necessary.
- On-site management of the creative production staff and associated suppliers.
- Maintenance of H+S standards throughout time on site.
- Management of site clearance for all activities relating to the department.
- To carry out any other duties commensurate with the purpose of the post.
- Ability to work in a structured manner, within tight deadlines and budgets
- 3 or more years’ experience in a similar management role within events, (ideally festivals)
- Experience in leading a team of 3 people or more
- Experience of managing individual budgets in excess of £200k
- Proficiency in CAD and/or Sketchup software
- Design skills
- In-depth festival industry knowledge
- Partnership management experience
- Proficiency in Excel, Word, PowerPoint / Key Note software
The following attributes determine how the role will be carried out and are required to be a success:
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- An enthusiastic, honest, team-focussed approach to the work
40 hours – Monday to Friday (10am – 6pm) – Build and show weeks will involve longer hours and weekend work.