Role: Youth Music Officer
Reporting to: Principal
Location: The Music Box, London
The Youth Music Officer will be responsible for continuing partnerships and building further relationships with key schools and music education partners to help develop the talent pipeline for music at secondary schools and colleges.
This will involve organising and developing workshops, events and short courses including curriculum, assignments and the design and briefing of accompanying audio visual content. We are looking for a charismatic musician and workshop leader to develop and deliver our youth music programme, encourage broader participation and consideration of music at Higher Education, and the ability to encourage and inspire young musicians in all contemporary music styles.
The role will involve significant travel to schools across the UK with the possibility of international travel to deliver workshops and courses in other territories. The successful candidate will be required to complete an enhanced DBS check.
Key Activities & Responsibilities
- Conducting workshops in schools in Contemporary Music and Jazz
- Working in partnership with local music hubs and other projects in the UK
- Developing and managing suitable after-schools club programmes, events and award and scholarship programmes.
- Event management including promotion through the schools network and arranging additional tutors, travel and tech as needed.
- Able to direct singers, rhythm section players and horn players to perform and reinterpret songs from the contemporary repertoire, and help young musicians create and perform their own music.
- Managing programme design & curriculum including auditions and entry requirements
- Managing Teaching & Assessment
- Building and managing a team of freelance workshop tutors and safeguarding
- Briefing the marketing and content creation departments on content and communications and drafting flyers, press releases and other copy.
Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills and Experience Required
Essential Qualifications / Education
- Music degree — Contemporary music or Jazz
Essential Knowledge & Skills
- A proficient musician (piano, guitar, bass)
- Excellent communication skills
- First-class organisational skills
- The ability to manage and inspire young people
- Experience teaching music to young people
- Music teaching or performance
Desirable Knowledge and Skills
- Musical Directing experience
- Songwriter / Producer
- Proficient with music production software, PA systems, backline, and keyboards
- Project Management experience
- 1-3 years experience in a similar post
The post holder may be asked to undertake different or additional duties in line with business requirements at the request of their line manager.
There is an expectation that all employees will maintain the values of the college and parent company Global University Systems (GUS) and will comply with the code of conduct as well as equality and diversity, health and safety and safeguarding policies.
There will be an occasional need to undertake business travel between other GUS sites within London and across the UK.