We are hiring a Staff Accountant in our New York office. The Staff Accountant will perform all daily and monthly accounting functions for assigned areas. Functions are inclusive of journal entries and reconciliations to support the financial close. This includes participating in monthly and year-end financial closings, annual audit preparation and other special projects as requested by Accounting & Reporting management.
Founded in 2000 by Willard Ahdritz, Kobalt is creating the music company of the future. Kobalt is a global music and technology company built for artists, songwriters, publishers and labels as an alternative to the traditional music business model. Kobalt have built the technology infrastructure to enable better reporting and for artists to maintain ownership and control over how their work is distributed, tracked, collected, and monetized. This global technology platform can track and collect royalties for the billions of micro-payments per song in digital music today.
This is an established yet fast growing creator-centric company of artists and songwriters including The Chainsmokers, Kelly Clarkson, Miles Davis, Dave Grohl, Lauv, Zayn Malik, Max Martin, Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, Paul McCartney, Stevie Nicks, Pitbull, Elvis Presley, Skrillex, Sam Smith, and many more. Kobalt represents on average over 40% of the top 100 songs and albums in both the US and UK.
WHAT DOES STAFF ACCOUNTANT AT KOBALT DO?
- Perform monthly, quarterly, and annual close activities, partnering with the business to ensure accuracy of results and balances
- Manage global operating expense and related prepaid and accruals journals and reconciliations.
- Manage Actual vs Budget analysis during close to ensure proper accounting and work with budget holders in key business areas.
- Perform monthly intercompany reconciliation and investigate variances.
- Support both external Group and country specific statutory audits including preparation of workpapers and memos
- Identify process improvement opportunities for processes and reporting
- Work effectively cross-functionally in order to prepare closing entries and to anticipate changes to processes
- Assist in building schedules, processes, reconciliations and flux analysis
- Assist with requests from internal and external auditors
WHAT SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or similar
- 1+ years’ experience in a similar role
- Proficient in Excel and the Microsoft Office suite of products
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills – including ability to work with and challenge others
- Strong team player and proactive approach to work
- Strong organizational skills / prioritization
- Solid working knowledge of accrual-based accounting with full P&L and balance sheet experience
- Netsuite ERP or another automated accounting systems a plus