Kobalt Neighbouring Rights is seeking a hard-working and motivated people-person to lead our Society Relations team that manage the registration process of our performer client roster at societies around the world.
The role requires a personable and motivating people manager with a track record of managing and developing a team. You may have experience working for a music publisher or Neighbouring Rights society where you have extensive and regular contact with collection societies around the world. But most important is that you are enthusiastic, a great team member who efficiently follow up on issues until they are fully resolved.
The role offers a fantastic opportunity to work for one of the leading companies in a fast-growing industry. Kobalt Neighbouring Rights started in 2011 and we offer a global service for artists and independent labels to collect their Neighbouring Rights income. Today, our team represents artists like A$AP Rocky, The Chainsmokers, Dua Lipa, Kygo, Lil Wayne, Sia, Young Thug and more.
Founded in 2000 by Willard Ahdritz, Kobalt is creating the music company of the future. Kobalt is a global music and technology company built for artists, songwriters, publishers and labels as an alternative to the traditional music business model. Kobalt have built the technology infrastructure to enable better reporting and for artists to maintain ownership and control over how their work is distributed, tracked, collected, and monetized. This global technology platform is able to track and collect royalties for the billions of micro-payments per song in digital music today.
WHAT DOES A SENIOR MANAGER, SOCIETY RELATIONS AT KOBALT DO?
- Provides management and leadership to the London-based Society Relations Team
- Provides team and department training
- Assists team with daily planning and problem solving
- Acts as first escalation point for society issues
- Informs senior management of significant changes and issues at societies and initiates 2nd level escalation in line with agreed process
- Works with tech department to define and prioritise new and improved solutions to support the day to day activities of the team
- Investigates requirements for registering clients in additional territories and establishes relationships to facilitate the setup of efficient processes with the collection societies
- Streamlines processes in existing business territories, both internally and in working with the collection societies
- Maintains a thorough understanding of society issues, qualification criteria and distribution policies as well as current industry news
- Travels as required to meet business needs
WHAT SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
- Previous Neighbouring Rights experience preferred but not essential, but ideally a music background at CMO with strong international network
- Proven people management experience with experience of motivating and mentoring team members
- Excellent communicator with interpersonal skills
- Able to take initiative and drive things forward through to completion
- Has an eye for detail, but also capable of bigger picture thinking and the ability to identify issues resulting from process changes
- Able to propose options for escalated problem solving
- A keen interest in tech, with experience of working with databases (SQL skills are an advantage) and strong proficiency in all Microsoft Office programs as well as Google Suite