An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Business Affairs Manager to join the fast-growing master rights division of Kobalt’s Business Affairs team in London.
The role will involve hands on negotiating and drafting of our digital distribution and wider label services agreements, as well as supporting and assisting the Senior Manager and VP of Business Affairs on this side of the business with more complicated deals and organisational and operational elements critical to the smooth running of AWAL and Kobalt Music Recordings.
It will provide an excellent opportunity for the right candidate to develop both professionally and personally in a unique and highly progressive music company.
Kobalt is the leading technology-powered music services company, offering end-to-end solutions for over 50,000 artists and songwriters and 800 labels and publishing companies.
Through Kobalt technology and services, creators benefit from more money, better reporting, and maintain ownership and control over how their work is distributed, tracked, collected, and monetized. With the award-winning Kobalt desktop portal and app, Kobalt clients get real-time insight into their work and activity.
We’re currently over 450 people based across 10 offices and we’re expecting to grow. That’s where you come in. If you feel like the fast-paced, rewarding environment of our rapidly growing company is for you – share your story! Apply today and tell us why you are the next best addition to our successful team!
WHAT DOES A BA MANAGER AT KOBALT DO?
- Negotiating, drafting and managing the signature and (along with internal teams) the implementation of various client agreements and side letters originating in the world ex. US for both AWAL and Kobalt Music Recordings
- Negotiating, drafting and managing the signature and implementation (along with internal teams) of third party licences including physical distribution licences, exclusive territorial licences, compilation licences, promotional uses and other third-party licences
- Preparing contract summaries
- Advising and supporting our AWAL and Kobalt Music Recordings (and wider) marketing, operations, creative/A&R and
- Management teams on a variety of matters including without limitation on deal terms, IP matters, dispute resolution, dealflow processes, best legal and business practice and general BA queries
- Maintaining good relationships with external lawyers – especially at Associate level
- Generally assisting the BA team with various administrative tasks
WHAT SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
- NQ-3 years PQE with relevant experience from a top music/entertainment private practice law firm and/or in-house role within a major or indie record label or publishing company. Candidates with city law firm experience and a genuine understanding and passion for the music industry will also be eligible for consideration
- Strong negotiation and drafting experience
- Excellent communication skills (both verbal and written) and the ability to disseminate complicated legal and contractual principles to non-lawyer staff in a coherent and precise manner
- A good existing music industry network of contacts and an interest in going to gigs with the AWAL and Kobalt Music Recordings teams to solidify professional relationships (both internal and external) would be a bonus
- Excellent analytical skills and attention to detail
- Excellent organisational skills and ability to prioritise workload in a role that at times can be pressured or working to tight deadlines
- Being able to work effectively in both a legal and non-legal team environment as well as being able to self-motivate and see projects through from start to finish
Kobalt has revolutionized the music publishing business by putting the creator at the center of everything we do. We are now taking the same approach and transforming the way recording artists release music through AWAL and Kobalt Music Recordings. Whether an artist is looking for the best digital distribution or a truly global campaign, Kobalt has become the partner of choice for innovative artists at all stages of their careers. This has created a high-quality path for artists to remain outside of the traditional label system while maintaining ownership of their masters. The leading artists who have already chosen Kobalt include Lauv, Nick Cave, Deadmau5, Die Antwoord, Verite, Tom Misch and Ray BLK.
In 2017, Kobalt was named Publisher of the Year at the Music Week Awards (UK) and has won the Independent Music Publisher Award eight consecutive times. Kobalt Music Group was recognised as the 2013 ASCAP Publishing Administrator of the Year and in 2014 our industry leading Portal web application won the “Innovation in Publishing” award at the MusicAlly awards.