We’re seeking an experienced Rights Manager to manage our Rights Management team within AWAL’s global Digital Operations & Supply Chain function. This team is responsible for ensuring our clients’ repertoire is set up and correctly monetised across the various UGC platforms, including YouTube, Facebook, Dubset and Mixcloud.
The successful candidate should have deep knowledge of the user generated content landscape and an ability to communicate its complexities to a non-technical audience. The role will need to interface regularly with a variety of colleagues across the global AWAL business and be comfortable engaging directly with select artist, management and label clients around time sensitive and high priority issues. You should also have experience managing operational relationships, familiarity with copyright infringement workflows across audio and video platforms, working with DDEX standards and operating as part of a global support team servicing colleagues in different timezones.
Founded in 2000 by Willard Ahdritz, Kobalt is creating the music company of the future. Kobalt is a global music and technology company built for artists, songwriters, publishers and labels as an alternative to the traditional music business model. Kobalt have built the technology infrastructure to enable better reporting and for artists to maintain ownership and control over how their work is distributed, tracked, collected, and monetized. This global technology platform is able to track and collect royalties for the billions of micro-payments per song in digital music today.
This is an established yet fast growing creator-centric company of artists and songwriters including The Chainsmokers, Kelly Clarkson, Miles Davis, Dave Grohl, Lauv, Zayn Malik, Max Martin, Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, Paul McCartney, Stevie Nicks, Pitbull, Elvis Presley, Skrillex, Sam Smith, and many more. Kobalt represents on average over 40% of the top 100 songs and albums in both the US and UK.
We’re currently 650 people based across 13 offices and we’re still growing.
WHAT DOES A SENIOR MANAGER, RIGHTS MANAGEMENT AT KOBALT DO?
- Monitor content deliveries to UGC platforms and ensure AWAL repertoire is successfully ingested and monetised.
- Manage and mentor Rights Management team members.
- Lead the operational relationships with a selection of our digital partners, with a focus on YouTube.
- Interface and build relationships with other labels and distributors to resolve issues around content ownership and availability.
- Handle business requests for rights and policy updates.
- Own service-level documentation and internal best practice guidelines for Rights Management area.
- Identify opportunities for workflow improvements, partnering with Product & Tech where relevant to implement supporting tools.
- Liaise with Business Affairs and Global Digital Partnerships teams regarding on-boarding of new UGC partners and associated processes
WHAT SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
- At least five years’ experience in a Digital Operations, Supply Chain or Rights Administration role working with user generated content platforms (especially YouTube), or similar experience at a relevant DSP
- Advanced relationship management skills, with the ability to interface between partners, internal client-facing teams and artist, manager or label clients
- Deep expertise with using YouTube CMS to resolve rights conflicts, manage claims at scale and administer channels
- Advanced knowledge of digital copyright issues
- Ability to communicate technical information clearly to a non-technical audience.
- Strong leader with a customer-focussed approach
- Experience developing junior staff members
- Good understanding of digital metadata standards and style guides
- Experience with reviewing and troubleshooting XML in DDEX ERN format
- Expertise with Google Suite, especially Google Sheets, is preferred