Business Affairs Assistant / Paralegal (Intern)
Employment – Type Intern
Minimum Experience – Entry-level
Compensation – Depending on experience
Global Independent Music Company
London UK (we are only accepting candidates from the UK for this role). This role is suitable for candidates completing the SQE and will count as qualifying work experience.
Full time, 6-months contract with opportunity to extend
Based in Bermondsey, the Involved Group includes the globally renowned and successful independent dance and electronic labels Anjunabeats, Anjunadeep and the recently announced new label Reflections. The label business also distributes and provides label services for a number of labels including Ophelia (Seven Lions), This Never Happened (Lane 8) and 17 Steps (Dusky).
Involved Group is also home to Involved Publishing, a progressive independent music publisher and home to some of the most cutting edge producers, writers and artists from around the world, including Above & Beyond, Dusky, Lane 8, Seven Lions, CRi, Kyson, Robyn Sherwell, Yotto, Sophia Bel, Andrew Bayer, Yotto, amongst others and Involved Management.
Working closely with our Business Affairs Manager across all Label teams and more, you will be the ultimate assistant to a thriving and ever evolving department of the business. You will support and assist the business affairs department to ensure contracts are effectively drafted and issued to artists. Alongside complex contracting, you will be responsible for assisting in legal negotiation. This will require you to work in a fast-paced environment that requires attention to detail and the ability to perform to short and changing deadlines. This is an excellent opportunity to understand the inner workings of a record label and how to maximise audience value and commercial return in a digital and global media environment.
This is an ideal role for someone with a ‘go getter attitude’, a passion for dance music and who is eager to get their start in the music industry, and grow.
Scope of Role
- Assist the Business Affairs Manager in drafting and arranging for the signature and the implementation of a wide range on contracts including deal memos, songwriter agreements, exclusive and non-exclusive recording contracts
- Assisting the Business Affairs Manager in the review and drafting of a variety of music rights licensing agreements, including key blanket / catalogue agreements with record labels,
- DSPS, sound recording aggregators, music publishers and collecting societies
- Support our finance, creative, copyright and client relations teams on a variety of matters including without limitation deal terms, IP matters, GDPR/data use-related matters, dispute resolution, deal-flow processes, best legal and business practice and general BA queries;
- Assist in reviewing agreements for artist touring operations globally including, but not limited to, long term touring agreements, festival agreements
- Prepare contract summaries for the Business Affairs Manager and Managing Director to review
- Assist in contract administration and maintaining project management platforms
- Maintain good relationships with external lawyers
Who You Are
- GDL/LLB required; LPC or paralegal experience preferred;
- Previous experience in music, specifically record label or music publisher preferred;
- An understanding in negotiating licensing agreements;
- A passion for dance and electronic music is a plus, and passion for music a must;
- Able to work well under pressure, autonomously, and manage multiple assignments at any given time and prioritise them effectively and appropriately while adhering to short deadlines and maintaining accountability;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; highly organised and detail oriented;
- Must be highly proficient in various computer programs including: Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Power Point, Outlook), Google Docs and workflow management platforms such as Monday;
- Handles and safeguards highly confidential and sensitive or proprietary information;
- Curiosity and willingness to learn about our businesses
Please upload your CV along with a cover letter.
Closing Date Tuesday 8th November, 2022
If you need to have a conversation with us about the application process before applying for this role please do not hesitate to email Claire Horseman at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will be happy to discuss any reasonable adjustments to the application process that may be required or to answer any questions you may have around potential barriers you think there could be prior to applying. We recognise the importance of diversity within our team and are fully committed to embracing all types of talent.