Hospital Records is an independent record label based in South London. Primarily releasing drum and bass, the label was started in 1996 by Tony Colman and Chris Goss, and has grown in recent years to become one of the most well known labels within UK dance music.
The label is home to artists such as London Elektricity, Flava D, Metrik, Degs, Nu:Tone, DRS & Dynamite, Fred V, Grafix and Mitekiss but also releases tracks from a whole host of other artists across the drum & bass genre. From its HQ in Herne Hill, South London, Hospital also runs the publishing company “Songs In The Key Of Knife” and their worldwide events brand “Hospitality”.
As a company we celebrate diversity and are passionate about our colleague’s wellbeing. We are committed to our team and you will be encouraged to bring your whole self to work. As a growing business we will encourage you to develop your professional and personal aspirations, enjoy new experiences, and learn from the talented people you will be working with.
Everyone is welcome at Hospital Records – are you ready to be part of this exciting journey with us? Then read on!
About the job
We are currently seeking a proactive Legal & Business Affairs Manager to support the Legal & Business Affairs department for Hospital Records and its Hospitality Brand.
This is a part-time fixed term contract for 6 months with a hybrid flexible working.
The successful candidate will be a motivated self starter, with a deep understanding of music copyrights and an eye for detail.
Key responsibilities include:
- Leading negotiations and drafting a range of contracts including long form recording and publishing agreements.
- Preparing short form agreements for single track/composition signings, videos, compilation releases, broadcasts, and sync, contracts; remix agreements and licences both in and out and JV deals.
- Advise and support our finance, creative, copyright and promotional relations teams on a variety of matters including without limitation deal terms, IP matters, dispute resolution, deal-flow processes, best legal and business practice and general BA queries
The successful candidate will have::
- 3-5 years relevant experience in the music industry or with a music related business
- Experienced in drafting and negotiating commercial contracts, and ideally the licensing of intellectual property
- Confident negotiator across a broad spectrum of commercial contracts, a team player but also comfortable working with a degree of autonomy in respect of matters within their experience.
- Able to communicate terms of agreements to other departments within the business.
- Fluent in written and verbal English
- This role will also embody a degree of supervising and delegating work to the Business Affairs Coordinator thus experience managing/supervising junior member(s) of staff would be an advantage but is not essential.
- The chosen candidate will need to be willing to help the relevant assistants on matters delegated to, including checking their work, answering queries and generally encouraging and advising the relevant assistants in addition to this role’s own workload.
We offer excellent benefits including:
- Structured onboarding
- Regular training & a personal learning and development plan
- Access to Employee Assistance Programme/counsellors 24/7
- Cycle to work scheme
- Competitive Holiday allowance
- Monthly team building and wellness events.
- Hybrid/flexible working
- Access to our festivals and events
- Salary depends on experience.
Everyone is welcome at Hospital Records and we encourage applications from people irrespective of their gender, race, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability status or caring responsibilities. Additionally, we are happy to discuss any reasonable adjustments to the application process that may be required.
If this sounds like you, then we’d love to hear from you!
To apply please send your CV and cover letter to [email protected] with the subject ‘Legal & Business Affairs Manager’. Application Deadline: 30th June 2022 (please note we may close the application process early if we have received sufficient applications).
If you have not heard back from us within one week after the closing, please assume that your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.