Gold State Music (GSM) is a private investment firm focused on investing in the music sector. Our funds are focused primarily on investing in music rights (music publishing and recorded music rights) as well as in enterprises in need of growth and expansion capital.
GSM was founded in 2022 by Charles Goldstuck, and currently has offices in New York, NY and Lake Nona, FL (Orlando). Our funds are expected to deploy a total of $500 million through the first fund cycle. We have an experienced team comprised of industry professionals who are deeply rooted in the music ecosystem.
GSM’s investment team currently consists of 10 investment professionals located in New York, Los Angeles, Lake Nona, London and Oslo.
Position: Accounting Manager
Location: Nashville, TN or New York, NY
The Accounting Manager is responsible for preparing and processing accounting records, including financial statements and other financial reports, to assess accuracy, completeness and conformance to standards defined within the department. This position reports directly to the Chief Administration Officer. GSM follows a hybrid work structure where employees work remotely or from the office, as needed, based on demands of specific tasks. Occasional travel required.
Essential functions include, but are not limited to the following:
- Create and enter journal entries into accounting system, including payroll, T&E, and other operating expenses in an accurate and timely manner.
- Process vendor invoices.
- Prepare bank and account reconciliations in an accurate and timely manner.
- Process expense reports in accordance with departmental procedures.
- Assist with month-end close; review and prepare accrual entries.
- Prepare schedules for third party auditors and tax accountants.
- Provide actual vs. budget variance explanations.
- Review royalty statements and analyze music catalog performance.
- Assist in developing documented procedures for the accounting department.
- Complete special projects as assigned.
Successful candidates will possess all four of the following requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum of 4 years of accounting work experience
- Minimum 2-4 years’ experience in a recognized firm or company, Big 4 experience preferred
- Experience in the music/entertainment industry preferred
- Previously held a Senior Accounting role with complete understanding of the general ledger
- Ability to work in a growing company with a small accounting team
- Can work independently with minimal supervision
- Proactive problem-solving skills and resourcefulness
- Organized and disciplined with excellent communication skills
- Uphold a strict level of confidentiality
- Ability to function in a demanding environment with tight deadlines and competing priorities
- Advanced computer skills in Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint products
- QuickBooks experience a plus
- Expensify system experience a plus
- Music royalty and systems experience a plus
Compensation will be competitive with the market, and will consist of a base salary, discretionary year end bonus and health benefits.