Career Opportunity: Head of Finance & Business Development
Company: Exceleration Music
Date: June 2023
Exceleration Music is a growing global music venture which invests in music rights and provides personalized financial and operating solutions to independent labels, artists, and music entrepreneurs. Exceleration strives to be a music company for the future, based on flexibility, deep values and a passion for independent culture. The Company is building a team to power that journey and is recruiting a few key hires that will be joining a fast growing, values-focused organization, led by a team of renowned industry experts working with a broad range of music genres.
Driven by a core mission to respect, preserve and enhance the legacies and cultural identity of our growing list of artist and label partners, Exceleration cares deeply about its company culture. The Company is committed to providing a working environment that is inclusive and promotes collaboration and contribution. Click here to learn more about Exceleration Music.
Exceleration Music’s Head of Finance & Business Development is a key member of leadership and oversees accounting, royalties, budgeting, tax, FP&A, and business development. Ideal candidates will come from finance, FP&A, corporate development, M&A or other relevant roles. Ideally, they will have gained their experience in the music industry, or another IP driven business. The right hire is smart, hard-working, hands-on, intellectually curious, highly organized, process driven, and an excellent communicator with a proven ability to lead, adapt and evolve within a growing Company. This is a full-time role and reports to Exceleration’s five Partners, who comprise the Company’s main operating board.
United States, remote. Colleagues are working virtually and currently are based in Los Angeles, Nashville, New York, London and other locations.
- Lead the finance function while keeping with Exceleration’s vision of creating an “indie-verse” that serves the financial, operational and administrative needs of the independent music community, and provides a distinct level of stewardship for the legacy of founders, catalogs and artists.
- Work closely with the Partners, and set strategy and protocols for the accounting, finance and business development functions.
- Optimize and protect the Company’s financial resources while ensuring that all financial obligations are met on a timely basis.
- Oversee a high performing team in accounting and royalties in support of artists, composers and labels in the Exceleration family.
- Ensure the right financial systems, processes and resources are in place to support the Company’s growth.
- Work with the accounting team to oversee the Company’s internal audits, with the goal of minimal audit adjustments.
- Work with internal and external accountants to prepare tax returns; ensure the most tax efficient management of the business including in international activities and strategic deals.
- Provide reporting and analysis to support strategic decision making by the Partners, department heads and the Company’s Board of Directors.
- Lead the financial aspects of M&A and other strategic deals, taking a bespoke approach to each transaction in order to meet the needs of all parties.
- Directly manage banking relations to stay in compliance with any debt and other financing.
Conduct financial planning and analysis, and develop reporting packages for the Partners and the Company’s investors.
- Manage interest rate and foreign exchange exposure as well as any other financial risks.
Serve as the subject matter expert for the Partners, staying ahead of changes in regulations, market conditions and trends that impact the financial health of the business.
- 10+ years of increasing responsibility in finance roles.
- Music industry experience strongly preferred.
- Experience commensurate with a Head of Finance or CFO level role.
- Strong understanding of intangible assets such as IP or copyright, and the valuation thereof.
- Multifaceted thinking with the ability to quickly digest and work in a range of business models and deal types in the music ecosystem.
- Specific experience in FP&A, M&A and corporate development.
Prior responsibility for day-to-day banking relationships including negotiating and complying with credit and debt facilities.
- Experience communicating with and providing reporting to owners, investors and other key stakeholders.
Intimate understanding of the broad and nuanced business models that coexist in today’s global music ecosystem.
- Track record of direct leadership of teams representing multiple sub-disciplines of accounting and finance.
- Ability to liaise with and support other operational functionaries within the Company.
- A deep knowledge of and passion for music, with demonstrable commitment to the values and integrity that support the ethos of the Company.
- A demonstrated ability to adapt, innovate and evolve in a growing Company.
- Excellent oral and written communication and relationship building skills, with the confidence to lead and facilitate multiple teams towards specific goals and outcomes.
A competitive compensation and benefits package will be offered to the successful hire. A base salary commensurate with relevant skills, experience, relationships and education is anticipated at an annual rate in the range of $225,000 to $275,000 plus incentives.
Diversity and Equal Opportunity
The Company is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, age, or any other status protected by law. Further, the Company strives to create a diverse, welcoming, equitable and inclusive environment for all applicants, employees, partner companies and other partners.
To apply or recommend a qualified candidate, please send a resume to Exceleration’s exclusive executive recruiting firm on this role: James@EnterGain.com and Karol@EnterGain.com; and include “Exceleration Finance & Corp Dev / MBW” in the subject line.