Employer: emPawa Africa
Closing Date: 12 May 2023
Start Date: Immediately
Job Title: Junior Lawyer
Industry Sector: Music/Tech Industry
Contract Type: Permanent
Hours: Full Time
Our Vision and Mission
emPawa Africa is a music label services platform that partners with independent African artists and labels in creating, promoting and funding their art to the world whilst maintaining their economic and creative freedom.
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a qualified Junior Lawyer with a solid knowledge of Intellectual property law and some foundational knowledge of the music business landscape to join our team.
This legal role will report to the Head of Legal and will involve the management of all legal risks across the Empawa Africa group including the drafting of artists contracts and other standard agreements with external lawyers as well as providing focussed and general support to the wider internal A&R, client and operational teams.
This role requires someone who has a working knowledge of English Law and is an English speaker. This position is for someone who is looking to grow with the company and be a part of revolutionizing the music business and having a role to play in pioneering music from Africa across the globe.
Experience is really key and the individual must be qualified to practise in England and Nigeria or Ghana
Duties to include but not limited to:
- Working with the Head of Legal to ensure clearances of tracks
- Drafting of third party agreements
- Supporting the wider team and responding to legal requests from them
- Defending legal claims
- Liasing with external counsel
- Supporting the management team by handling the signature and the implementation of various short form and long form agreements and a range of side letters such as extensions, amendments, variations and novations.
- Building and maintaining good relationships with contemporary external lawyers
- Helping with administrative tasks and working on efficiency drives where appropriate. The ideal candidate will have / be…
- 3 year PQE with relevant experience from a top music/entertainment private practice law firm and/or in-house role
- Employment Law Experience and Intellectual Property Law Experience
- Excellent research skills
- The ability to function within an international legal team and operate autonomously when required
- Strong and developed negotiation and drafting experience
- Excellent communication skills (both verbal and written) and the ability to disseminate complicated legal and contractual principles to non-Business Affairs staff in a coherent and precise manner
- Exceptional organisational skills and ability to prioritise workload in a role that can be pressurised
- Confidence and drive will be important traits but applicants must have a team-player and collaborative mindset
- Attention to detail and an analytical and proactive/efficiency-driven thought-process